07. RETRIBUTION

SHE WAS SITTING ON HER KNEES, IN THE MIDDLE IF THE NIGHT, ON THE COLD FLOORS OF HER KITCHEN

SHE WAS SITTING ON HER KNEES, IN THE MIDDLE IF THE NIGHT, ON THE COLD FLOORS OF HER KITCHEN. Sleep had become an absent presence for Monica nowadays and nothing seemed to comofort her besides her friend's cap, whose razor blades had been sowed in and out tens of times.

But now she had bleeding fingers and the pain stopped her from doing any more, so she had to pick up something else, another habit to calm her and waste her time. A part of her wanted to just sleep, but she knew too well that closing her eyes meant only nightmares. She got up from her spot and hissed at the low temperature of the floor on her warm feet as she approached the telephone. She wanted to call Finn so much, wanted to hear his soothing voice over the phone. She didn't even care that the cable girl would probably listen, or that the maids would hear call someone but Matteo at this time, but then again, she hardly cared.

She picked up the telephone but faced with the actual possibility of talking to him she suddenly became a coward and decided she couldn't do it. In Monica's head, calling him meant that she was wholeheartedly admitting her childish feelings towards him, and the girl was not ready to do that just yet, perhaps not ever.

Another idea popped into her head and she took out paper and a pen. Her twentieth birthday was in too weeks and she had to write the invitations anyways, and what better time than at one in the morning, when the streets are lively and filled with foolish people who believe one night of fun will make up for all those of sorrow?

Chiara was coming as well, which couldn't bring anything but happiness to the Montecello family. They loved her to bits, but she lived a happy life in the Naples, with her husband and child. Chiara has always been the one person Monica admired, mainly for her sweet heart and passionate character. Not to mention her relationship with Oliver, her husband, which Monica found to be ideal and wished that for herself.

Just as she set the pen on the paper the phone rang and she jumped at the sound, dragging the pen across the paper by accident. Her heart immediately started beating faster and a unexpected feeling appeared in her stomach as she hoped that Finn had the same thoughts that she had and decided to close the unsettling distance between them with a call.

Alas, as she answered the phone, Finn was not there. Instead, it was his older brother, a man who Monica both feared and was intimidated by.

"Mon! Monica, we've got him. We've found Franco. Come to Small Heath, now."

•••

"We meet again."

Monica smiled widely and sat down on the opposite chair from him. Finally, perhaps she would find peace. Perhaps she would sleep again at night.

"That we do, Franco," She said whilst picking up a knife from the table and toying with it between her calloused and cut fingers. She looked somewhat demonic, in her black dress and red high heels, with the unmatched red lipstick staining her lips. "I have Tommy to thank for collecting you."