05. SATURDAYS

FINN WATCHED OVER HER

He briefly told her it was Tommy's orders and while that wasn't a complete lie, it wasn't exactly the truth either. He said that when Sergio was out of town someone would stay with her, but he most definitely didn't mean in the same room and he most definitely didn't mean Finn. Monica didn't question it for a single second.

She had been awake for a week now. Four broken ribs, a concussion, a black eye, a busted lip and an almost infected cut made her body ache terribly, and Finn could see that even if she denied it. The nurses both hated and feared her, she couldn't smoke, and the room was small. Monica absolutely hated being hospitalized in Small Heath, and her proximity too Finn was the only thing making it better. Everyone was there the first day, but they eventually had to return to their bussines. She had to practically push Sergio out of her room to go to a meeting and it took even more effort to assure Leo that she was, truly, fine, and that he could go on with his assignments. 

Finn made his way to her room for the sixth time in seven days, in the afternoon of a sunny Saturday. The nurses were now accustomed to him and the girl's visitors. He could sometimes hear them snicker and joke about their presumed relationship; rumor was, the young Peaky Blinder fancied Monica, but she didn't reciprocate his feelings. Nurses were bored, and the few of them who were permanently meant to take care of Monica like gossiping more than anything. They would talk about her family, her life but most importantly her lovers; they heard that she was seeing this man, much older than her, and didn't pause for one second before calling her a whore.

Finn knocked briefly on the door and entered without waiting for a response. He saw her struggle to reach a lighter on the nightstand without getting out of bed, an unlit cigarette placed between her lips. Finn snickered at the sight and got closer to her. She smiled, but her happy grimace was soon replaced by a frown when he pulled the cigarette out of her mouth and placed it in his instead.

God, was he bold!

"Doctor said no smoking, Monica."

He dropped the newspaper he had bought for her on the bed and used the lighter she was trying to reach to start the cigarette. She pouted like a child who was being told off. Monica missed the smoke in her lungs so much it almost drove her insane. Her ribs were now properly healing and her black eye was now a soft brown, so in her mind in meant she was getting much better. Her doctor seemed to disagree, as he completely banned all of Monica's pastimes: cigarettes, alcohol, drugs and sex.

"Such a prick. You just want to steal my good cigarettes."

"Perhaps."

After their exchange a soothing silence fell over them. She was playing with her hair in an absent manner while flipping through that day's newspaper while Finn was listening to the radio, stealing glances at her now and then. She suddenly folded the newspaper and put it down, which made Finn lose all focus from whatever was on. She bit her nail, a habit he often noticed, and wandered what reason she had to be nervous.