06. RAZOR BLADES

THERE WAS A SHORT KNOCK ON THE DOOR

THERE WAS A SHORT KNOCK ON THE DOOR. Monica looked up from the book she was reading and mouthed a "come in." She was sitting by the window, as her bed had become her least favorite place in the whole world. She was all alone and bored, as Finn had to leave early that day which left her all alone.

The door opened and from behind it entered a tall, blonde frame with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. Monica's heart stopped at the sight and all the rage, all the anger she had inside her suddenly resurfaced.

"Get the fuck out, Matteo," She said as she dropped her book on the table and started rubbing her hands on her temples. The man lowered his hands and rushed towards her.

"Mi dispiace, mi dispiace, cazzo, Monica. Amore, I can explain."

"Please, Matteo, enlighten me with the reason you were unable to be by my side while I was laying here half-fucking-dead!"

"I will, I will! Sit down, please. The day you left for bussines I- I was mad, alright? I was mad because I don't get any time with you! Because you always pay more attention to your father, or Tomhas Shelby, or-"

"Don't you fucking dare blame this on me, figlio di puttana!"

"I'm not blaming you, I- I'm just explaining, so let me explain! I was mad, so I called Hal, and we went out for middle day drinks, and he came up with a idea. He- he suggested we went away for a week to Wales, to blow off some steam, you know?"

"Don't tell me while I was getting beat up you were having whiskey in Wales, Matteo."

"And I said yes, because I was furious with you, but I shouldn't have, amore, I shouldn't have! No one could reach me there and when I finally came back my maid was desperate and I drove here so fast, Mon, you have no idea, I almost ran over a woman." He continued, ignoring what she said.

"You're fucking unbelievable, Matteo! So it's my fault you weren't here, eh?" She was now screaming and was certain the nurses could hear her voice outside her room. "And what, you were furious? This is my job, and this is my family, and this is the relationship you agreed to, knowing damn well who I was! Don't act like you weren't fucking aware!"

"Do you hear yourself? You're not there even when we're supposed to be together. Like at Sergio's fundraiser, we were supposed to enjoy ourselves for one evening but no, you took off for the entire night! Where even you were you, ay? Where the fucking hell were you?"

"Vaffanculo, Matteo! I- I was busy, but that doesn't matter now. I want you to leave, and I want you to take your goddamn flowers and I don't want you to come near me again until I say so."

"What do you mean it doesn't matter? Monica, you tell me right now where you were and what you were doing. I- were you with someone else?" He asked, grabbing both her forearms in a desperate matter. At that point, fire could be seen in the girl's eyes, and Matteo instantly knew he made a mistake, but he carried on nonetheless.