The Bad Beginning Part 2

3rd Person POV

The next morning, the children woke up at sunrise to the sound of an obnoxious crow, squawking into the window. All four children got up and got dressed, wearing the same clothes as they did yesterday and headed down to the kitchen for a small breakfast before going to the backyard to chop wood. 

"Put some elbow grease into it!" Count Olaf exclaimed to Violet, who was struggling to chop the wood. 
"Mr. Poe must have made a horrible mistake when he took us here. There's no way our parents would want us in Count Olaf's care, if we can even call it that," said Violet. 
"As soon as Count Olaf's back is turned, we need to leave this house. I'd rather take my chances on the streets than stay here any longer," Klaus said to his sister. 
"Who knows what would happen to us on the street? At least here we have a roof over our head," Violet said in protest to her brother's statement.
"I wish our parents' money could be used now, instead of when you come of age. Then we could buy a castle and live in it with armed guards patrolling outside to keep out Count Olaf and his troupe. Kitty can live there too," Klaus fantasized.
"- With a large inventing studio," Violet chimed in.
"And a library," Klaus chuckled. 
"And chewable objects," Sunny babbled. Kitty had been listening to them.  She loved the idea of living in a castle. She loved the idea of being surrounded by such positive people and not people that leave a negative impact like Count Olaf and his troupe. If only she had the courage to run away. She knew she couldn't, knowing how nuts Count Olaf was. 
"Hurry up, orphans. There's reupholstering to be done," Count Olaf said, sipping his coffee.
"Justice Strauss said her home was always open to us," Violet suggested.
"She said her legal library was always open to us. It's not the same thing," Klaus corrected.
"Mr. Poe did say we could contact him if we had any questions," Violet suggested again.
"We don't really have a question. We have a complaint," Klaus said. 

The bald man with the deep voice came out with a coffee pot. "Can I warm that up for you? And also give you some very bad news?" the bald man asked.
"What is it?" Count Olaf asked. "It's that secretary..." the bald man trailed before Count Olaf interrupted him.
"Shh! Not here," Count Olaf shushed the man before pushing him back inside. 

The Baudelaires exchanged looks and Violet grabbed Sunny. 
"Kitty, you should come with us. You can tell Mr. Poe all about what you know and you could be free," Klaus said. 
Kitty thought about it for a moment, but then shook her head. "I can't..." Kitty said, in a somewhat frightened tone. "Why not?" Violet asked.
"For one if Count Olaf finds out I'm gone, I'm in for a heck of a beating. Two, I can cover for you while he's gone so he won't suspect anything. You three can go, but please don't say anything about me. I've heard Count Olaf talk and what he says, he means, so if you want me safe, don't say anything until his threats are at his highest peak. And trust me, he'll find a way to make it that, but until then, go an file your complaint, and I'll stay here and cover for you."
The Baudelaires were somewhat shocked at Kitty's words. Well, more surprised than shocked. 
"So, you're willing to take the bullet for us if we're caught, but not try to save yourself for once?" Klaus asked. "I've taken the bullet for many things. Even things I haven't done, so I'm used to it. And I couldn't try and save myself even if I tried. I'd have no idea where to go. No memory, remember?" Kitty said, pointing at her head at the last sentence. 
"Yes, we remember. But, we also want to give you the chance to remember. You've been through so much here and my sisters and I can find a way to free you. You could come with us after all of this is over," Klaus insisted.
"I appreciate that Klaus, but we shouldn't worry about me being free unless it actually happens. You three go, you don't have much time," Kitty said, signaling for the Baudelaires to go before Olaf came back. 

The Baudelaires snuck out and Kitty went back to chopping wood.

Klaus's POV

My sisters and I out of Count Olaf's house and took the trolley to  Mulctuary Money Management to find Mr. Poe.