8

~Pete's POV~

Patrick made me feel needed. He ran to me when he hit a deer with his car. He trusted me enough to talk to me over anyone else. He allowed me to listen to the music he wrote but kept it secret from his friends. I am so grateful that I was assigned to be his English teacher. Now, Patrick is sleeping on the couch in my living room.

Before I became a teacher, I lived in Springfield Illinois. Throughout most of high school and part of college, I was extremely depressed and I thought nobody cared about me. It was a super rough time for me. I was bullied on a daily basis, and sometimes I even wound up in the hospital due to my injuries. My own friends would make up rumors about me. I felt betrayed. So many rumors were going around that it was hard to keep them all straight. All of my old friends left me behind because they were embarrassed to be associated with me. I didn't have anyone. I was alone.

Somehow, I convinced my parents to move to Chicago to escape the bullies. However, my reputation for being an easy target spread to my new school in Chicago too. It got so bad, I thought the only way to make it stop was to end my life.

I emptied a bottle of antidepressants. I took every last pill in that little orange bottle.

Luckily for me, though, I survived. I was blind before I attempted suicide. I didn't realize how many people actually cared. My entire family was there for me in the hospital along with a couple of old friends.

Reflecting back on that time in my life is always painful, but it is always a good reminder of how lucky I really am. Patrick is in my life and I am so thankful that he is showing me how much I actually matter. I want to always be there for him when nobody else is. I want to be that person he can turn to and trust with absolutely anything. I want to be his shoulder to cry on.

"Pete? Are you okay?" His voice calmed me. He still had the blanket I'd given him last night wrapped around his shoulders like a cape.

"I'm okay. Just thinking," I shrugged with a smile.

"What about?" He wondered innocently.

I pondered over whether or not I wanted to tell him. I decided against it. "Oh, it's nothing," I said and forced a small smile. I didn't want to make him feel worse, and I also didn't want to think about that part of my life anymore.

Patrick looked doubtful. "Okay," he spoke slowly. Patrick scanned my face, searching for any hidden emotion. After a second or two, he gave up. "Thanks for letting me stay the night."

A smile spread across my face. "Anytime you need," I promised. "Y'know, it's kind of fun to have company around here. It's always so quiet."

Patrick smirked and pulled me against his side so that the blanket was wrapped around both of us. "I can change that," he said dangerously. I grinned, but Patrick pulled away before I could say anything.

Patrick looked at his phone and sighed. "I should head home," he mumbled.

"I'll drop you off," I blurted. Patrick was going to protest but I cut him off before he could speak. "I'll get your car fixed. Don't worry about it!"

"I'll pay you back," Patrick promised. "I can't say it'll be soon, though. We're tight on money right now."

"No worries," I smiled. Patrick ran at me and tackled me into a hug. "Should we get going?" I chuckled. He nodded.

I grabbed my keys off the counter and helped Patrick gather his belongings. He didn't bring much, so that part was easy. Patrick tossed me his car keys which I caught with one hand.

Patrick jumped into the passenger seat and looked at the black case on the floor by his feet. A wide grin spread across his face while I started the car. "Is that full of CDs?" He asked excitedly.

I replied simply with a quick, "Yep!" Patrick looked at me with pleading eyes. "Go ahead," I laughed. Patrick unzipped the case enthusiastically and began to file through my CD collection.

Patrick pulled a CD from the case and loaded it into the CD player. He grinned while he cranked the volume. The intro to Michael Jackson's Thriller filled the car.

The whole car ride included jamming to Michael Jackson's music and singing along with the CD. Patrick was considerably better at it than I was, but I honestly wasn't surprised. I dropped him off at his house and later that night, I took his car to the shop. I updated him with a quick text.

To: Patrick
Your car will be done in a couple of days

From: Patrick
Thank you so much. I owe you

To: Patrick
You don't owe me anything