Epilogue

Senior Year
It was the first day of my senior year of high school. I was so excited. I got dressed in my light blue jeans, and my- correction, Josh's white sweatshirt with his last name on the back. He still didn't know I stole it. I then straightened my hair and left it down.
I drove my siblings to school, because I was now the oldest, with Dyl gone at college. When I got to my locker I found Tilly and Joe already waiting for me.
Tilly squealed like she always did every first day, "Laura! You look so cute!"
I smile at her, "Thanks! You look super cute too!"
"Where's Josh?" Joe asks and I laugh.
"Remember last year when I asked you that? He's coming, he told me he had to get me a present."
"Awww," Tilly sighs, "Joe, why have you never got me a present on the first day of school?"
He just shrugs and looks embarrassed. Then he and Tilly focus on something behind me. Before I can turn around, I'm hugged from behind, "Hey, Laur."
I lay my head back on his shoulder, "Hey, Joshy, at least you didn't jumper-cable me this time."
"I got you a present." He holds up a caramel frappuccino.
I smile up at him, "You know me so well! Thank you!" I give him a kiss on the cheek.

    1 Year After Graduation
I was getting ready for my date tonight with Josh. We were going to walk along the boardwalk next to the beach. And then go out to eat at a fancy restaurant. I decided to wear a blush pink dress that went down to my knees and a jean jacket. I curled my hair into small waves and then put on some lip gloss and mascara.
Just as I was finished getting ready, there was a knock at the door. I heard my dad answer it and heard them talking. When I walked into the living room, Josh stood up. "You look beautiful!"
I smile, "Thank you, you look nice too." He was wearing black linen pants and a light green button-up shirt that brought out his eyes.
My mom and dad both wished us a good night and let us go.
We drove to the beach and got out. As we walked down to the water, he reached for my hand and intertwined our fingers together.
We walked along the beach, talking about random stuff or just staying silent. We reached a pier and went onto it. We walked to the end and stood there looking at the sunset.
I felt Josh shift next to me, so I looked over. He was down on one knee and opening a little black box. My mouth fell open as he began to speak.
"Laur, I love you. I think I've loved you since I knew what love was. I was always too scared to say anything to you, and I think Noah knew that. So when I got the courage to say something, he stole you away. After the party, I knew I loved you and couldn't bear to see you hurt. That's why I wasn't going to say anything. But Dyl knew that it would never work, and even though he didn't tell you in the best way possible, I'm still grateful he did.
I'm sorry that Noah felt that way about me so he had to go and hurt you. If I could do things over, I would. But I can't and the only thing I can do is be happy that I'm with you. So, I love you, Laura Joy Jones, will you marry me?"
My eyes fill with tears and I nod, "I love you too, of course I'll marry you!"
He stands up and puts the ring on my finger and then wraps me in a hug. After a while, he says, "Ready to go eat?"

    Years Later
Josh and I had been married for 18 years. We had 6 kids, ages 16 to 8. Our oldest was a girl named Poppy. Next was our son, Hendrick, he was 14. Then Abe, he was 13. Norah, 10. Frank, 9. And Luna, 8.
I was in the kitchen making supper and Poppy was asking me questions about when I met Josh. Lately she had been wondering about this kind of stuff.
"Mom, who said 'I love you" first?"
I dump potatoes into the pot, "Your dad, of course."
Just then, he walks in, "What about me?" He gives me a kiss and then sits down next to Poppy.
"I was asking mom who said 'I love you' first."
Josh grins at me, "Well, Poppy, it was actually your mother."
I frown, "No it wasn't. I never said I love you until you did."
He just keeps on grinning, "I'll tell you a secret Poppy, your mom doesn't remember saying it. She was actually drunk at the time. And we hadn't even started dating yet. And she was dating another guy at the time."
"What?" I say, "What in the world are you talking about?"
Poppy was drinking it all in with an interested look on her face, "Mom got drunk before?"
After setting the potatoes to boiling, I sit down too, "I've gotten drunk once and it was not a good experience. I was dating a boy at the time and it was his party I was at. Your dad was there too. He said he had to come to 'protect' me.
"Well, I don't know what happened next, but I woke up in my bed, in my own pajamas. When I went downstairs, my mom said I had been sick and Josh had taken care of me. Turns out my boyfriend had slept with another girl and Josh had taken me home after I almost smoked weed. But I never remember telling your dad I loved him," we both turned to Josh.
He's still grinning, "Of course you don't remember it, you were drunk and you don't remember anything from that night. It was right after I had put your hair up after you puked and you said you had a secret to tell me. So I walked over and you whispered that you loved me. And then you wouldn't let me leave, and you made me sleep by you."
My mouth dropped open, "I did all that?! I don't remember a single part!"
Poppy laughs, "You guys are so cute!" She stands up and walks out of the room. I look at Josh and he's grinning at me.
I stand up to check the potatoes and Josh hugs me from behind, "We are cute aren't we, cupcake?"
I lay my head on his shoulder like the good old time, "Yup, we are, frosting."

The End

Best Friends... Or More?On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara