Chapter 8 : First Date

When Tilly and I get back to my house, the boys stand up. "How was it?" Joe asks, while giving me a hug.
I shrug while looking at Josh. He's looking right back at me. Tilly looks between us and then drags Joe away, "Let's give them some room."
"Josh-"
"Laur-"
We both speak at the same time. I can't help it, but I burst out laughing. And I don't stop. Soon tears are running down my face. I think the stress has finally broken me.
Josh rushes to me, "Laur, are you okay?" He wraps his arms around me. I lay my head on his shoulder and sob and laugh at the same time. He guides me into my dad's office, and we sit down.
Josh doesn't say anything, just lets me cry into his shoulder. After a while, I finally take a deep breath and sit up.
I look at Josh and see that he's looking at me. I smile to let him know I'm okay, and he smiles back and I nearly faint. I guess I never really liked Noah.
"You can go first," Josh whispers, "I'm sure you have a lot of questions."
I nod and open my mouth, but then close it, where should I start? "I thought you were mad at me," I finally say.
He smiles sadly at me and shakes his head, "Laur, I wasn't mad at you, I was mad at me."
"Why did you never tell me you were once best friends with Noah?"
"Did Noah tell you?" I nod and he continues, "Well, it just never came up."
"He said the reason he dated me was to get back at you. Because you left him to be closer to me."
Josh's eyes widened, "I didn't even realize he felt that way! I didn't mean for it to be like that. I guess we just drifted away from each other."
"Josh," I say and put my hand on his arm, "He said he knew you were going to ask me out that day in Personal Finance, and that's why he asked me out."
Josh looks at me, "Laura, I wanted this to be so different, but I guess it's going to have to be like this, but... I like you. A lot. Yes, I was going to ask you out. Do you still want to go out with me?"
I stare at him. I knew this was coming, but it still was a shock hearing it from him. Then I grin and nod, "Yes! Josh I like you too! I'll go out with you!"
He grins back at me and gives me a hug. Then we just sit there on the couch in my dad's office, his arm around my waist and my head resting on his shoulder.
****
    I open the door. Josh is standing there with a half-grin on his face. He looks nervous.
He's dressed in khakis and a navy blue polo. I was wearing jean shorts that were ripped, with a black t-shirt and a red flannel tied around my waist.
His smile grows even bigger when he sees me, "Hey Laur."
I smile shyly back, "Hi Josh."
"Ready to go?" he asks me.
"Yeah," I said, then yelled back in, "Mom, I'm leaving!"
"Okay!" she yells back.
Then Josh and I walk to his truck. And he walks me to the passenger door and opens it for me. I climb in and then wait for him to get in on the other side.
We pull out of our driveway and Josh says, "So, I was planning on us going out to eat and then bowling. How does that sound?"
"Good," I say.
We ride for a bit in silence, then Josh says, "You can plug your phone into the aux and pick a song if you want."
I grab the cord and plug it into my phone. Then I go to my Spotify. I scroll through my playlists until I find my Favorite Songs playlist. Then I start them. 8 letters fills the speakers.
He glances over at me, "I knew you would play this.
I play innocent, "What? How could you know?"
He grins, "Well, I just so happen to know that Why Don't We is your favorite band. I knew you would play their songs if you had a choice."
I laugh, "You caught me. I love Why Don't We."
****
    We pull into Taco John's. I open my door and get out. As we walk inside, he takes my hand. He opens the door and lets me enter first. We walk up to the counter. Josh turns to me, "What do you want?"
    I look up at the menu, "Umm... a number nine, with a large side of potato olés."
    He grins at me, "Alright. Love those potato olés, do you?"
    I look at him, "Josh, you know that. Apparently you know a lot about me."
    He orders and then we get our drinks and then sit down. Josh cleared his throat, "Um... Laur, I don't know how to tell you this, but I know a lot more than you think about you."
    "How?"
    "I have actually liked you for a long time. I just never got the courage to ask you out. I took note of everything you did, everything you liked. And now," he grins and winks at me, "now that you know I like you, and I know that you like me, I can use those things to my advantage."
    My mouth drops open, "You would never!"
    He laughs, and I swoon a little bit. His laugh is so deep and gorgeous. I'm in love with it. "See Laur, this is what I'm talking about! You always believe me and get all defensive!"
    I wack his hand, "Josh! Ugg! You just love getting me worked up, don't you?"
    He grins again, "Yup! I can't help it! You're just so cute when you're worked up!"
    I roll my eyes at him, "You're so pathetic!"
    "But Laur..!" he whines, "I'm in love with you! Take pity on me!"
    I smirk and grab his hand, "Okay!" I bring his hand to my lips and kiss it.
    His grin bursts and he hugs his hand close to his chest, "I'm never going to wash this hand again!"
    I laugh, "Gross! I wouldn't ever go on another date with you if you didn't!"
    He fake pouts, "But, Laur, I want to keep this kiss forever!"
    I pat his hand, "Don't worry, I'll renew it every time you wash your hands."
His face brightened, "You will? Well, then, I'll wash my hands all the time."
I laugh and hit his hand, "Duh!" Before I could say anything else, our food arrived.