With Life Comes Death

Start from the beginning

"That's amazing."

"Dominant and recessive genes. It was in my 10th grade science curriculum. The creepiest part was that we studied human blood under a microscope. We had to study genes."

"That is creepy." She laughs then wheels me out into the living room.

"Look who finally gave into the chair!"

"Hey, I'm stubborn."

"Almost 12 years of marriage and 18 years of knowing you screams hell yes."

"Shut up." Meredith puts my breakfast at the table and I start eating.

After breakfast, everyone is up and running, so we head outside and I sit on the dock with Sam and we watch everybody. Aimee spins and I smile then wave her over. She skids to a stop and I keep smiling at her.

"What?"

"Okay. Next week, I'm paying for some skating lessons. You could do this professionally."

"I've wanted them, I've just been too scared to ask."

"Well, yes. You're getting some good lessons that will make you into a star."

"Thank you." She hugs me gently and I watch as she glides back out. Damon and I always expected this, because she loves the ice skating portion of the Olympics. She'd ask if she could go to the movies with her friends, but she would really sneak off to the ice rink and go skating. Once, I followed her and I watched her. She's amazing.

Suddenly I hear Sam cry out and my head snaps over.

"Elena, something's wrong."

"Are you in pain?"

"Y-Yes."

"Tell me where it is."

"My area is cramping up. It really really hurts."

"Oh my god. DAMON!" He looks over and flashes to us.

"What's wrong?"

"Sam's in labor."

"Labor?!?" Sam shrieks.

"Honey, it's going to be okay. Let's get you inside and you're going to have the baby."

"Meredith!" She skates over and I stand up.

"Elena, you're taking a risk."

"Aimee weighed more at 9 months. We should've tested this before. I'm okay, I swear." Alex comes over.

"Mom, what's going on?"

"Sam's having the baby."

"Mom, get back in the chair. I can carry Sam."

"Alex-"

"Mom, I'm not going to risk my brother and sister."

"It's okay Elena. I can walk." I sit back down and Damon runs me inside. We go into Sam's room and I help him prep the bed. I lay out Sam's scrubs, then Damon sets up a few chairs.

"You need to sit."

"Damon, I'm fine. There's no need to go all protective macho daddy on me." He laughs then I sit down anyways. Alex comes in with Sam and pulls her scrubs on over her head. She takes her dress off then her pants, followed by her underwear. She lays down on the bed and I scoot over to her.

"Hey, don't worry Sam. I'll be right here for you. I'm going to have Alex give you some of his blood because we're going to need it in your system just in case." She nods and cries out. Alex passes out.