FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
Rest

          ARLO AND ANDER walked into school together, discussing the exams coming up very soon which had the former more than worried.

"You'll be fine." The boy assured. "You're smart. You just gotta study more."

"Noted. Thank you." Arlo laughed.

As the two walked to their first class, she spotted Rafael and Miguel walking in their direction. Rafael saw her and grinned. "Arlo, hey!"

"How are you?" Arlo asked. "Oh, this is Ander, by the way."

"Nice to meet you, man." Rafael beamed, shaking Ander's hand. "Arlo's told me all about you."

"You too." Ander smiled.

Rafael jerked his head to Miguel. "This is my friend. Miguel."

"Hey." Miguel beamed, he then looked at Arlo. "How are you?"

"I'm good." Arlo nodded. "And you?"

Miguel grinned. "Well, my parents left town again so I got the place to myself. It's great. I'm throwing another party, if you guys wanna come."

Arlo and Ander exchanged a glance before the latter cleared his throat. "Um, maybe, yeah."

"Arlo! Ander!" A voice called and the two turned to see Guzmán coming up behind them with a grin, swinging his arms around both their shoulders. He then looked to Rafael and Miguel, his smile dropping slightly, but nonetheless, he held his hand out politely. "I'm Guzmán."

The two boys shook his hand with smiles, then an awkward silence settle upon them. Arlo bit her lip. "Well, we gotta go. Thanks for the invite, Miguel. See you later, Raf."

"Anytime." Miguel beamed. "Looking forward to seeing you there."

"Come on." Arlo ushered as she dragged Ander and Guzmán behind her.

"Invite?" Guzmán echoed, looking at Arlo. "What invite?"

Arlo waved her hand. "He just invited me and Ander to his party."

Guzmán nodded. "Are you going?"

"No." Arlo breathed out. "With exams right around the corner, including my guitar one and my parents leaving, I've got too much on my plate for that."

They were interrupted when Lu came strutting towards them and pecked Guzmán's lips. "You were great the other day. I had completely forgotten how good we are in bed– well in a pool."

"You did it just to brag about it, huh?" Guzmán snapped.

"It was a secret?" Lu questioned innocently, then kissed him before she turned around. "I'll see you next period, my love."

Guzmán turned to Arlo who had tensed, licking her lips. "I wasn't interrupting anything then?"

"Arlo, I–"

"It doesn't matter." Arlo interjected abruptly. "I'll see you guys later."

She practically ran down the hall and turned the corner. Once she did she leaned against the wall behind her, letting out a huge breath as a lump formed in her throat. Then the logical part of herself came through, she had no right to be mad or upset at him, they weren't together and she wasn't sure if they ever would be.

"Lo, you okay?" Samuel asked and Arlo opened her eyes and shook her head.

"No. Not really." She laughed awkwardly.