THREE

CHAPTER THREE
Disappointment

          ARLO WATCHED AS everyone tried to scramble around for a partner on the social networking project Martín just set. She smiled to herself in amusement and slight pride as Samuel plucked up his courage and asked Marina to be his partner.

Christian was on his way to ask Carla to be his partner, but stopped once he overheard her and Polo making plans. The boy then stopped and turned to some other girl, raising his eyebrows and Arlo nearly burst out laughing right there.

Ander stopped by her desk, holding his arms to the side and arching his eyebrow. Arlo chortled at the way he asked as she nodded. "Sure."

"Yes!" Ander smiled. "I'll text you later about times."

Arlo picked her books and bag up, ready to head to her next class. She turned around to be met with Guzmán who had just finished talking to Nadia about being his partner. The two looked at each other, silence settling over them before Arlo brushed past him.

Guzmán shook his head. "Not this time." He followed the girl out of the classroom and into the hallway. "So I don't even get a 'hi' anymore? Really?"

Arlo rolled her eyes before she glanced over her shoulder. "Hi."

"That's real cute." Guzmán deadpanned but before he could continue what he was going to say, a hand stopped at his chest and he looked over to see Lu smiling not so sweetly at him.

"What do you think you're doing?" She asked.

"Nothing." Guzmán huffed, moving her hand off his chest. "Nothing at all."

"I have to get something from my locker." Lu said. "I'll meet you in five."

The girl flipped her hair behind her as she strut down the hallway after Arlo. Lu turned the corner to see Arlo at her locker, taking her books out. Lu walked over to her and leaned against the locker next to her's.

"What's going on between you and Guzmán?" She asked.

Arlo looked at the girl. "What are you talking about, Lu? Nothing is going on between us."

"As I'd recall, you haven't really spoken in what, three years? And now he's chasing you down hallways. I don't buy it."

Arlo wanted more than anything to give the bitch a taste of her own medicine, but she held herself back. She closed her locker. "Goodbye, Lucrecia."

Lu scoffed as Arlo walked away from her. Arlo stormed into a study room, putting her books down before burying her face in her hands. The last thing she needed was Lu having a vendetta against her.

"Boo!" A voice exclaimed in her ear and Arlo let out a small scream as she jumped.

She turned around to see Rafael doubled over in laughter. "That's not funny!" She said through her teeth as she whacked his arm. "You scared the crap out of me."

Rafael raised his eyebrows as he sat down next to her. "That was kind of the point." He snickered as he started taking his books out. "So, how was the party?"

"Dramatic." Arlo sighed.

"What else would you expect? My older sister's coming out party four years ago consisted of three guys wanting to marry her." Rafael informed with a chuckle. "Two even showed her the type of ring they'd get her."

"Really? Well, what happened?"

"Well, now she's happily married to her wife, so you tell me."