FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
Distraction

WALKING DOWN THE hall, Arlo held her guitar in her hand while she listened to music. It had been a busy morning trying to get her siblings up for school and she was not in the mood.

As she walked downstairs she spotted Guzmán in the middle of talking to Ander and Polo. Yesterday's events playing in her head, the girl pressed her lips together and nodded in greeting at him before she went to the music room to drop her guitar off. Once she did, she turned back around to see Guzmán by the door and she took her earphones out.

"Have we really gone back to awkwardly passing each other in the halls?" He asked.

"That really depends on whether or not you're still an ass." Arlo deadpanned, raising her eyebrows.

Guzmán laughed. "Fine. Okay. I deserved that. I was angry yesterday. The look on Marina's face just killed me."

Arlo nodded in understanding. "Yeah, me too."

"You were right. I was being an asshole." The boy sighed. "God, why are you always right?"

"It's a both a gift and a curse." The girl shrugged. "Or maybe you need to stop being an asshole."

Guzmán chuckled. "Yeah, maybe. So, are we good?"

The corner of Arlo's lips pulled upwards. "Yeah. We're good. Come on, we should get to class." She ushered as she took a hold of his hand and dragged him out the music room.

The two went their separate ways when they entered the classroom, Guzmán going to sit with Polo while Arlo took her seat next to Samuel who was nervously biting his nails.

"What's up?" Arlo questioned in concern.

Samuel turned to the girl and moved girl to her. "Marina and I are going to, um..."

"Oh, that's great." The girl interjected with a chuckle.

"I'm a virgin." Samuel hissed. "What if she thinks I'm just a loser?"

"Samu, thats nothing to be ashamed of. So am I. And she won't, this is Marina we're talking about. She cares about you."

"You're a virgin? Shit." The boy grumbled.

"Why?"

"I was gonna maybe ask if you'd know what girls would like...you know."

Arlo's eyes widened slightly. "Oh. Well, um, sorry. I, uh, can't really help you there. I guess, you could always ask Christian for...tips."

"Are you kidding?" Samuel scoffed. "No way."

"What about your brother?" Arlo wondered.

"No. I don't want his advice, nor do I want him knowing anything about what happens between Marina and I."

The girl clocked her head to her side. "Why not? He's your brother."

Samuel sighed, rubbing his hands over his face, debating whether or not to tell her what his brother nearly had him do. When he noticed Guzmán glance at her briefly, he knew it was best not to. "He's just an ass. He's not exactly the kind of person I want her to be around. I don't want her getting caught up in his shit."

"Yeah, I get that." Arlo exhaled. "But this wouldn't be getting her caught up in his problems. Just some brotherly advice."

"Lo, in my relationship with my brother, I'm the one who gives advice." Samuel chuckled, trying to change the subject.