Chapter Four

~

"So where are you from?"

"Stripes." He announces as he breaks the fifteen balls. "Savannah, Georgia." He states as he watches the balls scatter across the table.

"Oh? You're a southern boy." I smirk.

"Yes sir. And you?" He leans down again aiming the cue ball for the twelve purple striped.

"I was born in some unknown town in Tennessee. I moved to New York for husband number two. Then down to North Carolina for husband number three. After this divorce my mother and I traveled the world. When I got back husband number four lived in cold as hell Washington. I could not deal with that so at eighteen I moved to California and my mother is somewhere looking for husband number five." I groan. I look up from my beer to see my Professor looking at me like I was a nut case.

"I'm sorry." He stands up missing his shot.

"No don't be. That's just my life. I'll live with it."

"Do you have any siblings?" He trailed off as he tilted his head as I did before to check me out. I smirked smugly as I aim for the solid orange five.

"No."

"Really four husbands in and she only had one child?"

"She had abortions." I swallow solemnly.

"God! I'm so sorry."

I hit the shiny white with more force than I would have liked but I knocked in two solids. I know my mom isn't the best but she couldn't bare to have another child. I don't know why. She told me this before she left on her solo travels and I haven't talked to her since. To know that I could have had siblings (which I was in desperate need for since I had no friends) was heart wrenching. I love my mom but that was sick. She is sick. And instead of looking for a man to fill whatever void she has she needs to help herself first.

"She just told me this information and I haven't talked to her since. I feel sorry for her but I could only help when she accepted it."

"Oh Hunter."

"Look this isn't a therapy session."

"Right. Sorry."

"Stop apologizing." I aim again, "So, what brings you to a pub. What if a student sees you?"

"I needed a drink." I look at him.

"Ditto." I raise my hand to the bartender for another one. Geez.

~

I groan and peel out of my fifth shirt. I grab a black v-neck and slip it on. Three games! I lost three games and now I have to go on a date with my teacher. This is beyond wrong. I thought he would let this go and just take his wins as a prize but no. All week at the end of class he took it upon himself to remind me of our date Saturday and that he would pick me up at seven. Hell he even wrote at the top of a quiz he gave back that he couldn't wait until Saturday. He is in desperate need to scratch this itch (aka me) and see where this goes.

I've already put my foot down on it. This is one night of free food. Nothing more. We aren't going any further with this. My medical career is at risk as well as my image. I can't be the doctor who got where he was because he slept with his teacher. It's already bad enough it took me three times to pass Med 101. Ugh!

I wiggle into my black Levi's and lace up my classic Converse. I didn't tell Izzy about this catastrophe and I'm still avoiding Day. He's not even talking to me anyway. I didn't want to hear either of them talk about how bad this is. I know I could be expelled and banished from every hospital but I'm kind of curious about this relationship--