Chapter Eight

Something to hold you over until I get some time next week.

~~~

Livid. I was beyond livid actually. I paced back and forth in my living room glancing occasionally at the empty armchair. She sat there pretending to play on her phone. All the while she was snapping pictures of me at my happiest. I have never felt more alive and cared for and she's willing to rip that away. For what? For a job? For her own selfish issue? I don't know and I really do not care! The minute she walks through that door all hell will break loose.

The Dean caught up with me in Brad's classroom and he was even more pissed than earlier that day. He immediately changed my course classes and he even went as far as bumping my grade up to an 'A' in order to get me out. He stayed tight lipped about what they plan to do with Brad. I demanded he enlightened me about the situation but he shooed me out with the threat of expelling me altogether. Man, I couldn't bare to look at Bradley if I was the reason he lost his job. I could barely look at Isabella right now without seeing red.

I jumped slightly at the sharp knock on the door. I stroll over and look through the small lense on the door. Bella stood there in all her innocent glory with a bag of probably Thai food. I roll my eyes and grunt before yanking the door open. She smiles sweetly in her blue crop top and floral skirt. She dangled the bag in front of me before strolling past me into the apartment I shared with her for so many years. I can't believe I was betrayed in it.

"I heard what happened from Day. I'm so sorry, babe. God forbid Day gets his hands on the bastard." She called from the kitchen as she unpacked the food containers. I slowly walk to my bite sized kitchen and lean on the archway.

"It would." I mumble through clenched teeth.

"So what happened with Royce? Is Brad ok?" Her warm eyes twinkled slightly as she took a tentative bite of her chicken.

"I have a new teacher. I have no knowledge of what will become of Brad and his career." I tilt my head as my blood boils.

"Well good. As long as you are still a student."

"An unhappy one..." I interjected.

"A successful one!" She pressed. Her eyes narrowed at me and I narrowed mine back.

"They'll probably fire him anyway. It is so much easier to cover up a student with raging hormones than a grown man sleeping with a student." She shrugged and stepped up to me and cupped my face. I fought back a flinch.

"I just wanted you to get laid ok? No relationship was suppose to derive from that. Maybe you should give Day a shot. Whatever you choose to do doesn't matter. Just let Professor Maxwell go."

"Why'd you do it?"

"What?"

"Don't play stupid with me Isabella. Why did you take pictures and send them to the Dean?" I growl and yank her hands off my face. I take a few steps back and try to breath.

"I-I didn't--"

"Dammit! You were right there in that chair!" I pointed to my now disgraced Lay-Z-Boy. "Those pictures are from Monday. Brad and I were finally enjoying some time together after two weeks of pure hell! I only let you stay because you had no classes and you're my best friend." I sob, "I can't deny my innocent best friend."

"Hunter..." She reaches out to me but I slap her hand away.

"Admit it!"

"Hunter!"

"Say it! Tell the truth you back stabbing bitch!" I shout unable to keep a level head anymore. I can only black, white, and red currently. I lunged at her and grabbed her arms. She gasped afraid I'd hit her. That action crossed my mind but it didn't seem ethical. I just wanted an answer. Not jail time. I brought her right up to my face and pressed my nose to hers.

"Isabella, I am not fucking around--"

"Okay! Yes! Yes. I did it!" She scrunched her nose and closed her eyes tight."B-But Day paid me to."

My heart slammed in my chest and my legs wobbled. I loosed my grip enough for her to slip out and back up away from me. I look at her in disbelief.

"He...he's wanted you for so damn long he was willing to do anything for you. I-I tried to convince him that this would backfire but the look of sheer raw anger and depression in his face made me risk it all for him. He was and is in love with you." She whispers.

"And...And you're in love with him." I look at her face and she's gnawing at her bottom lip with tears staining her face. Son of a bitch.

"Hunt, I am so sorry. I couldn't say no. You know how it goes."

"He's the reason I'm here. The reason I'm in this predicament. To top it off you are so in love with him that you are willing to ruin your friendship with me so I'll be in a relationship with him. But where does that leave you, huh?! A third wheel? In the dust, that's where!" I scream. I managed to not yank my hair out even though I'm tugging like my life depends on it. My blood pressure has spiked beyond normal levels and I think I feel a shooting pain in my left arm. I take some calming breaths to calm my racing heart.

"Get out."

"Please Hunter. I'm sorry I just...I don't even know." She stepped toward me once again but I walked to the door and swung it open. On the other side was Day.

"Hey?" He looks between Isabella and I. Between my red tomato face and her blotchy cheeks and bloodshot eyes, he could but some pieces together.

"Hunter." Day started cautiously.

"You son of a bitch." I shook my head and grabbed Isabella's arm. I dragged her out and pushed her into Damien's arms.

"Now no one wins. Fuck you both." I slam the door in their faces and let out a scream of pain, despair and defeat. I ran to my alcohol cabinet and grab my favorite clear liquid. I twist the top and let the strong vodka warm my body. The burn is numbing and relieving. If I die right now, that would be ok.

I died the minute I stepped into the Dean's office.

They were the reason I was here.