06

han ji eun

jisung knocked the door upon reaching our classroom, sliding it open. i don't think i would've gotten into class at all if it weren't for the fact that we're in the same class today.

"han jisung, you're 15 minutes late. what's your excuse this time?" a sharp voice bared its fangs at my brother as soon as we were exposed to this woman, whom i assume, is our homeroom teacher. a small smirk reached my lips.

this time, huh? so he had been late quite a number of times.

i felt a hand pull at my wrist, and immediately i was in front of that woman, dumbfounded by the sudden actions of my brother.

she had crimson red lips that you could recognise from probably a mile away - it's a trait you'd never be able to keep out of your mind. her face was caked in powder a little too pale for her face, specks of it falling off here and there if you looked close enough. her earrings were the most ridiculous item i've ever seen, though they sort of humour me; those humongous diner plate earrings. i genuinely wonder where she got them from.

she took a step closer to me and i made it a point to not breathe because lesson learnt, i choked the last time someone who wore too much perfume leaned in on me. the scent was overwhelming.
"well, class. we have a new student today." she threw me a sweet smile, guiding me before the whole class by my shoulder. if we were out on the streets, people would think she was my grandmother.

"jisung, go take your seat." the woman gestured and he scuttled to his seat, which was, unsurprisingly, at the back of the class. a weight landed on my shoulder, and i knew it was my turn to speak.

"hi, my name is han ji eun and i just came back from malaysia." i introduced briefly, bowing out of respect.
"good. you can take a sit beside...." her eyes searched the class for an empty seat though the only empty seat in the class was beside felix and another two guys. i do not get the trouble you have to go through to get me a seat, honestly.

"ms kang, there's an empty seat beside me!" a guy yelled from the corner.
"eh? why should she sit beside you? besides, that's haneul's seat." another guy responded.
"ms kang, this seat beside me is empty. ji eun can sit here." the other guy with an empty seat raised his hands.

"you think she'd sit beside you?" a girl from a few seats away yawned. she's pretty.
"well, who else other than me has an empty seat beside them?" he rebutted.
"please be quiet!" the woman, now known as ms kang, tapped the board with her marker, silencing the class.

"ji eun, you can go sit beside felix over there." she swirled at the seat beside felix with her marker, nodding.
"yes." i nodded and went over, relieved that i wouldn't be sitting next to a stranger. but looking back, i was sitting beside that pretty girl who spoke earlier. she had this sass around her.

"what took you so long?" felix whispered.
"the forms were in korean." my brother snickered from behind. wow, how nice of my brother to be seated behind felix with hyunjin as his seatmate. just who thought it was a great idea to put two of the loudest people together?

"class, please concentrate!" ms kang warned, eyeing my brother while i burst into small fits of giggles. he glared at me and leaned back, pouting.

the first class wasn't so bad and lunch came by quickly, the shrill ringing of the bell that had everyone escape from the classroom even before the teacher had dismissed them.
"sung, let's go eat!" i shook his arms violently, poking his cheeks as he was sleeping.