Chapter 5

My mind wouldn't stop presenting ideas on how to get out of the situation. The feeling I had is messing my head up. I've never felt someone's presence to be enjoyable based on scent and their voice. My body feels calm occasionally with people in certain situations but by his presence alone? That's something that I am unprepared for, that I don't know if I can handle. 

"Athena," His voice startled me, making me turn to him. He was leaning against the door frame, watching me intently. How long was he there for? When I came to my senses I immediately regretted the choice and looked away. I shouldn't have looked, he's so beautiful. "Now you know how I feel," His voice made my body shiver. I felt my face warm up at his insinuation, but also his understanding that I find him beautiful. "Can we have this conversation, please?" I turned away from him and placed my hands on the banister as grounding. I heard his footsteps approach the banister. I could feel the heat he was radiating even with a two-foot distance. "My name is Greyson Lockheart, the oldest son. I've been gone for a few years because I've had lots of training that I had to complete in order to take over the throne, that's why I wasn't here when you came two years ago. My mother was excited that you agreed to come here, she and my father adored your mother, she was a hard worker with a beautiful heart." I shifted slightly, not leaning down like he was. I was prepared to run if I had to. "I want to hear things from you, Athena. Your name and anything else you feel like sharing." Why is he being so nice to me? He has to want something from me, more than just agreeing to us being a pair. 

"I don't like talking," My voice was inaudible, but he heard clearly.

"Why?"

"I don't like people. People smell weird, and they're noisy." He chuckled softly, making me calm slightly. He wasn't a threat quite yet. 

"Cologne and perfume often mingle in an enclosed space, and make me nauseous." I looked at him in confusion. "However, it's socially required to practice good hygiene and smell good to others, even if it's overwhelming to some." He was looking out at the garden, giving me a chance to watch him. "You choose to stay silent?" He looked over at me, making me look away. "You can speak, and you're intelligent, yet you stay silent. Why?"

"Unnecessary." I could feel his eyes on me, making me uncomfortable. He looked away, making me relax again. "There isn't a point in speaking with others when they're incapable of having an intelligent conversation. People speak to hear themselves, not to listen. It's a waste of time."

"That's a true reality," He looked down at his hands. "I often deal with people who would rather hear themselves than others. They're more concerned with attention than retention. It's frustrating because there are many topics that are more interesting than listening to someone say things to gain attention or reactions." I grunted quietly, making him smile unconsciously. "How old are you, Athena?" I looked down at my hands at the question. "I'm twenty-three this year."

"Eighteen today." He looked over at me, his body shifted before he spoke.