Chapter 1

The walk through the woods was a short cut to get to my house. It offered me the peace I longed for all day. The woods were always my getaway, even as a child. The walk home from school was always something I enjoyed because there was no one to talk to, no one to make comments, no looks from the others. As I neared my house, I could smell new scents. Usually, my father and I stay away from others. We live in seclusion, at least, as much as possible. My father never allows others in our home, so confusion filled my mind. As I entered through the back, I felt my body tense for an unknown reason, as if something bad were going to happen to me. When I realized no one was home, I panicked. The scent is stale, meaning others were here at some point today. Shaking my head, I opened my door and saw that my belongings were packed and sat on my bed. 

A few hours later, the door to my room was opened and revealed my father. He looked as though he were tired and upset. He grabbed the suitcase and my bag, nodding for me to follow him. When we reached the living room, fresh scents hit me. 

"They aren't going to harm you," My father's voice was gentle but pained. "I've been forced in this, honey." He handed the suitcase and the bag to a man. I watched him and the other two carefully. I could feel my heart in my throat. "You've been bought." My entire body felt frozen; my mind was racing at his words. The man holding my belongings gave me a look of pity, something that increased my own distaste for men and alphas. 

"I know it's not ideal," The man spoke softly. "But it has to be done. Your mother worked for the Royals, and your father can't take care of you anymore. You're an omega, so it's common to be a servant until you get marked." I felt heat nearing my shoulder, making me immediately slap the hand away. The room fell silent. 

"I'm sorry," My father said with a sigh. "You'll be protected there; your mother said she felt safer there than home." Probably because you're a raging alcoholic who used to abuse her. Or maybe even a disgusting alpha who marked her out of your inability to contain yourself during her heat.  I'd rather have my own life with a disgusting alpha like him than be forced to work for other disgusting alphas who don't know to keep their own opinion to themselves. I have two years until I'm supposed to get my heat, I don't understand why I need to go now. 

"I understand you may not want to come with us, and I understand that this is a shock. However, I would like you to know that you'll be safer there than here." My father looked at the man as if he had said something disrespectful. "You'll have access to your education still; you'll have food and a room, you'll have safety. The people I work with, the ones you will work with too, are all kind." So he's a fellow omega. "Your mother always talked about you and your mannerisms. We won't touch you, we want you to come out of your own volition with the circumstances present." Why is he talking about my mother as if they were close? She was quiet and timid around alphas, but when she was alone with me, she had so much to say. She had a beautiful mind. When I left the property, I didn't look back. That thing in that house was no longer what a father is. It's not what a mate should have been to my mother. 

The traveling was long; it took twelve days to get to the Royal 'castle'. The man from before checked in on me but didn't extend the conversation. Three hours before arriving, he disclosed what my jobs would be, what I'm allowed to do and, what I'm not allowed to do. He also told me of the punishments I'd receive if I break any rule. He's been here the longest, my mother was one of the few that were here for over twenty years. I was brought to where my room was and introduced to the few people I would interact with all the time. There were omegas as staff, some betas, but not many. The omegas ranged in age and personality. There were three people closest to my age. They quickly became the only friends I've ever made.