Chapter 2

Time at the castle feels like a time warp. My days and weeks bleed into each other. I wake up every day at roughly six in the morning, get ready, and get to work. My days end at around nine at night. My daily chores are often cleaning, organizing, and sometimes cooking with Miss Katherine. Elijah didn't head that mean man's warning, and often is around the group of us. I've made three other friends aside from Elijah. That mean man is known as Carson McKinley. He's one of the main guards and a rude person to everyone.

"Thea," Fiona, my friend, came running up to me. "You won't believe what's going on." She smiled at me, making me concerned. "The King and Queen are reprimanding McKinley in front of other alphas." I scoffed and shook my head.

 "I imagine that's a blow to his ego." Casper, my other friend, spoke joking with William, our last friend. 

"Yeah, that just means he's going to be a terror for all of us to deal with." William sighed and took a seat near the counter. "Thea," I grunted quietly to tell him to continue. "You think we'd be able to go to the study later with Prince Elijah? I like reading the books in there."

"If Prince Elijah says it's okay, I feel as though we'll be okay," Fiona said quietly, making me nod once. "We'll let you finish. See you for dinner." She smiled before the three of them left me to my organizing. I was walking into the main office to see if the King needed anything when someone fell into me, causing me to fall. When I looked, I saw that it was Anna, the only daughter.

"Sorry, Thea." Her voice sounded broken, her face was red with a handprint. When I looked up, it was some man who was not her family. She tried to keep her tears in, but no one would be able to in this scenario. She's twelve, no one should be hurting a child. There was a commotion around the two of us, yelling, perfume and cologne, growling, the works. I focused on Anna, making sure she was okay. We were both kneeling; I checked her face to see if there was blood. "Sorry," I shook my head and gently covered her eyes for a moment. She held my hand with both of hers as if she were grounding herself. She brought my hand from her eyes when she calmed down, still holding my hand gently. I stood up and brought her to her feet. She smiled at me gently, telling me she was okay. I watched as she went to take her place by her mother when her mother's face contorted into fear. "Anna!" Her mother screamed, but my body was already between the alpha, attempting to mark her without consent. My body moved on its own as if I knew already. The entire room felt still, silence surrounded us. 

"Thea," The Queen said quietly in shock. This was the first time I've ever let a rough growl from my throat. I was angry because Anna is twelve and this man is double her age, if not more. Anna turned in my arms to look up at me. I had my left arm around her, bringing her close to my chest and make her nape impossible to get to. My right forearm was between this man's teeth as he tried to bite her nape. I let Anna go when the King retrieved her. The man hadn't let go, as if he were paralyzed with his inner beast, not understanding he could move. There was a lot of pressure on my arm, it felt terrible. There was blood seeping from the puncture wounds on my arm. I was controlling him with my arm at the moment. An alpha's jaw locks after attempting to bite the nape; most don't know there's a twenty-second window to control their movements once they latch on. I watched Anna hugging her mother tightly, her father placing himself between them and anyone else. The man released my arm finally. He stood looking at me in sheer anger before someone grabbed him roughly.