Chapter 2

A sweet friend refreshes the soul

Proverbs 27:9

Serenity 

Darn it! I rest my arm and my head against the wall of the stairwell. This was not how I wanted my first day back to go. I just hope Drew hasn't left yet.

Knowing her she will still be in bed when I call.

I pulled out my phone and dialed her number.

She lets out a yawn when she answers on the last ring before voicemail.

" You interrupted my dream of Channing Tatum. Whats up girl."

I dont want to know what that dream was about.

" My dad left me at home," I said shakily, " Can you come and get me?"

She let out a groan on the other end but I could hear her shuffle around. 

"Be there in 10," was all she said before she hung up. 

Ten. I can do that. Especially since now I don't have to worry about my dad approving of my outfits. I can wear what I want and change before he comes home today. He will never know. 

I thought about putting back on my first outfit but my dad ruined that for me.

Then I remembered I had something in my drawers I had yet to wear.

It was a pair of off white overalls that Bobby got me for my seventeenth birthday last February. It was a pair off of white overalls. He thought it would be a way to spruce up my style. Dad didnt approve of course. Said girls shouldn't be wearing overalls. So I kept them in my drawer waiting for the right moment to wear them. Now would be a good start. 

I pulled off my white t shirt and put on a different t shirt. This one had different colored strips on it in shades of brown, black, and a cream color. I found a pair of brown dress sandals in the closet and put on a brown dress hat to go with it. 

I spun in the mirror and smiled.

There we go! Dad can't say I am showing to much skin now!

A horn was honking followed by my phone going off. Drew's here.

Before I stepped out of my room I fingered my cherished item and asked God to give me strength today.

******

There are a few things about Amy Drew Decker that I loved and was jealous of at the same time. First off,  she drives a dark purple jeep as her car with jacked up tires. Its pretty impressive for a girl car. Second, she can look good even though she was in a hurry to come get me. Her strawberry blond hair was pulled back in a single braid and her face had just the right amount of makeup. She was wearing a blue and white print off the shoulder dress with lace white peep toe sandles. I was scared to tell her that I thought her dress was to short. It only went to her mid thighs plus I dont want to make that same mistake again.

I tried telling her that last year and we got into a huge fight. She didnt talk to me for about a week. I finally realized I was wrong and apologized. She forgave me but threaten to end our friendship if I did it again. She was only kidding. I decided it was not worth the risk. 

The third thing is Drew speaks her mind without hesitation or reservation. That's something I never had before. Plus, my dad would never let me wear the clothes she does or drive the car she has. It would be to showy or flashy.

But the thing I love most about Drew is personality. Every time she comes and gets me I try to hug her but she hold out her hand telling me to Don't talk to her or touch her until she has had her coffee. 

So we listen to cheesy music on the way mainly Disney music or musicals as we wait in line at the nearest Starbucks. Once she takes a small sip she lets out a happy sigh and starts asking me a million questions.

Hi girl.

How are you?

 Was it that bad this morning?

Why didn't you call me sooner?

OOOOO girl you look hot where do I get some sexy overalls like that?

And thats the other thing I love about Drew. She's not a Christian but she still accepts me for who I am just like I do her. Dad tried to tell me I couldn't be friends with her because she wasn't a believer but Bobby put a stop to that.

He said, " Dad Drew is a good friend to Wren. Remember all that she's done for Wren. She really helped her out. Don't forget that Dad." 

Dad didn't like Drew because she wasn't like us but after what Bobby said he tolerated her. Meaning we can be friends but he doesn't like her way of life. 

I let out a small giggle and answer her questions.

" Hi Drew. I'm fine. And ya it was bad." As usually. " And I thought I could be ready in time. And they are not sexy and Bobby gave them to me for my birthday."

Drew was the only one outside of my family who knew about my home life. I made her swear to secrecy.  If word got out it would not be good. And everything would be worse. It would be my own personal hell on earth.

"Still no word from Bobby," she asked softly.

I shake my head. I don't want to talk about Bobby. Its only been like 2 months and I miss him like crazy.

Drew knew Bobby was a sensitive topic but she went on anyway, " Your dad is a jerk for what he did."

In a way I agree with her. I won't ever say it out loud but I still agree with her. I think my dad could of handled the situation better. I was even shocked but I would never had done what my dad did. I loved my brother no matter what.

I stay silent as Drew pulled into a parking space.

I was about to get out when she put a hand over mine. It was her way of telling me she is hear if I want to talk.

I give her a small smile and hop down from the jeep.

She says my name but I went into auto pilot. 

I just want to get into school and just become invisible.

People were laughing and pointing at me but I was to zoned out to ignore them.

I was also so lost that I didn't hear the skateboard coming my way or the shout of someone telling me to move out of the f ING way.

But the time I shook out of my trance it was to late. A solid body collided into mine and I was tumbling to the ground.