03.15.30 Inspiration

Who Inspires You?

-When I used to take online writing classes we'd have a discussion board and all the other students would talk about their favorite authors and quote them and then others would be like "Oh I love her

-When I used to take online writing classes we'd have a discussion board and all the other students would talk about their favorite authors and quote them and then others would be like "Oh I love her. Have u read..." and I always stayed silent. I didn't know anyone or any book they mentioned and I felt soo out of the loop. Though once I think I did mention starrchiild who is for sure my fave on here lol

So my question to my fellow writers is do your have a favorite author?

For a long time I would force myself to lie and say so & so is my favorite when asked because as a writer I felt forced to have one. Once it was Stephanie Meyer (Twlight) then Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games) but I just loved their series. Never could get into anything else of theirs.

I even tried forcing myself to read these books the students were talking about and I didn't get past the first chapter. For a very long time it made me feel less than others. I do read books but I can't quote them and I don't think I can consider someone a favorite author if I've only read one of their books/series.

Growing up R.L. Stine was my absolute favorite because I loved the Goosebumps series. I probably read all of them and some of this other stuff. And to this day just thinking of it brings back pleasant memories of me at the library after school just reading them. I loved Marc Brown's Arthur books too. But as an adult...crickets. So does that technically make R.L. Stine my favorite?

Side note: I was so excited when I saw he was here on Wattpad 😂

Truth is, music is what inspires me like no other. We all know my favorite artists and I don't think it's fair to credit anyone before them when we talk about "favorites" and "inspiration". Yes, I read. I enjoy it and I know the importance of it as a writer but please don't make me pick a favorite. And if I do, let it be R.L. Stine since his books are a key to the imagination I have today.