9. she's just a kid.

millie kicked a pebble from beneath her laced boots, following after her guardian

she held onto the railing as she trailed down the wooden steps.

"millie, this is the sartorius family. their son, jacob, is about your age, if i am correct?"
mrs hopper nodded her head to the family to greet them, then turned to millie in attempt to introduce them.

"we've met."
millie scowled, staring down at the ground beneath her feet.

"my my, aren't you beautiful! isn't she, jacob?"
the mother of the small family gestures to her only child, who clenched his jaw.

mrs. sartorius smiled awkwardly, before returning to a conversation with winona.

"millie, there you are! cmon, let me rescue you."
sadie ran over to the girl, out of breath from the game of tag she had returned from.

"rescue you, ha."
jacob mumbled, adjusting the collar of his dress-shirt.

"what a weirdo. i hate him. always have."
sadie scowled, turning to millie who had her eyes to the ground.

"i'm not fond of him either."
she chewed the inside of her cheek , looking back up at sadie.

"there's some people i want you to meet. they're all basically idiots, but it's the only sign of teenage life until you reach mancato, which is 33 miles south. so there's not many options to choose from."
the redhead said as they approached the group of kids playing next to the side of the church.

"hey guys!!"
noah wheeled happily towards the girls, attempting to steer away from any stray rocks that might catch in the wheels.

"hello, noah."
millie smiled widely, reaching out to straighten the cap that sat on top of his head with her gloves.

"noah, come on!! we're starting without you!"
a boy threw a cloth ball at noah, getting his attention.

"i'm coming, leo. chill out, man."
the boy in the wheelchair exclaimed, smiling and throwing the ball back.

"whos this?"
the blonde haired boy took a step closer to the group, eyeing millie with his hands in his pockets.

"i'm millie."
she replied, eyes gleaming at the attention she received.

"pretty name."
he said blandly, still eyeing her as she gushed under his watch.

"thank you."
she smiled , biting her lip humbly and squirming.