-Chapter 2-

Ace

"Hey, mate! How was your day?" Jayden pats me on the shoulder and sits down beside me on the bench as swiftly as the blazing wind.
I go out for a run every Sunday morning by the sea, I don't care what the weather is. If it's raining, I'll bring a raincoat. If it's sunny, I'll wear shorts.

"Hey, man, what are you doing here?" I grin at my best friend, trying to shield my inner struggle. I met this girl a few months ago, at the nightclub I go to every few weeks. We both clicked straight away, but as it was the first time we met, both of us agreed to exchange numbers, but remain anonymous. So I just call her 'Her' or 'She'.

His face drops. "What is it? What's wrong?" I give him a pained expression. "Again?!" He says, without me having to say anything.

Yesterday she was looking for commitment...I was not. I don't think I ever will. Most people I know-my parents especially-accuse me of being a sex addict and cold-hearted because I won't settle down with anyone. But I don't think I am either of those things. Hopefully I'm not. I just...don't see the point in dating. People were created solely to just reproduce. Not to find love. Or maybe they were...and I just...can't.

"I just don't know what the big deal is!" I exclaim. "Why can't dates just be dried fruit?"

"Because most people, like her, like dating." I groan. Yeah, but why?! "Have you ever tried men?" Jayden continues.

"'Have you ever tried men?' -You say that like they're some exquisite dish."

"Well, they might be to you."

I scoff. "No, I haven't 'tried men'. Just because you're gay."

He raises his arms in the air, almost like he's surrendering. "I'm just saying-it's a possibility!"

Funny story-when we first met, Jayden asked me out. He's adamant he was drunk whenever I mention it, and the way he was staggering about and slurring his words, I would not be surprised. But that's one way of coming out of the closet.

"I'll tell you what, I'll take you B-17 tommorow and you can look for a man."

B-17 is the place we met-the nightclub.
I chuckle. "No, you can because I don't have the guts, and I can't-surprisingly-act gay."

He elbows me. "That's fine, I'll teach you." He laughs.

"Besides what would she say?" I run my fingers through my short ginger hair and stare into the sunset with a deep breath laced with worry. I wish things weren't this way.

"Well, you could just stay with her-she's a lovely girl."

I rub the bridge of my bony nose. "Jayden, you just don't get it. I can't...I just don't know how to..." My words trail off, I've lost count of how many times I've had to try and explain it. Sexaulities like mine are extremely difficult to describe. "I just don't want to date her."
Why can't people just understand me?