Roomies for Life Pt. 1 (of 3)

Living close to the university, Dean had been through many roommates. First, it had been his brother, but after Sam had moved out to live with his girlfriend, Dean had decided to rent out the spare room. It seemed like every semester he had someone new bringing their stuff into the small room. Men and women both jumped at the chance to live close to campus without having to pay an arm and a leg to do so. He only had one rule: "do not fall in love with me". Every single one obeyed that rule, and he in turn avoided them. That is, until he couldn't.

   Cas was already in the kitchen, sitting at the table and nursing a mug of coffee, when Dean staggered in. He grunted a greeting as he passed behind him on his way to the coffee machine. Cas merely raised a silent eyebrow in reply. Neither man was particularly a morning person, but today was worse then usual. Their mutual friend Charlie has informed Dean of a party that was happening off campus the night before, and Dean had drug Cas out with him to "live a little". They had both ended up supremely drunk, and Dean can honestly only remember half the night. He barely remembers stumbling home in the early hours of the morning, arm slung over Cas's shoulders in an attempt to keep them both upright. Needless to say, the hangover was kicking them both in the ass this morning.

   With a heavy sigh, Dean sinks down into the seat next to Cas at the table, own mug of coffee clutched tightly in hand. His roommate glances over and wrinkles his nose at the absence of either cream or sugar accompanying the black brew in his mug. Dean feels a smirk tug at his lips as he raises the mug to his mouth and takes a cautious sip. The hot liquid burns his tongue slightly, but he closes his eyes and hums in satisfaction anyway. Cas looks away in mock disgust and continues to drink his own coffee in silence.

   Dean finishes his coffee first, and pushes away from the table to get to his feet. He closes his eyes and stretches his arms up above his head, rolling his head side to side to stretch out his neck. He misses the way Cas's eyes roam over the couple inches of skin revealed as his shirt slides up his stomach. Cas hurriedly looks away, faint blush tinting his cheeks pink, as Dean reopens his eyes and whisks his empty mug off the table. Depositing it in the sink, he turns to look at the back of his tousled haired roommate's head.

   "You want breakfast? I can whip up some eggs and bacon. Maybe even some pancakes if you ask nicely." Cas perks up at the mention of food, and turns to face Dean with hopeful eyes and his first smile of the morning gracing the corners of his mouth. Dean practically melts at the sight, but tries his best to hide that fact from his roommate. The truth is, he had been harbouring a crush on his new roommate ever since Cas had moved in two months ago.

   "Breakfast would be much appreciated, Dean. Thank you." He replies earnestly, blue eyes locking with Dean's green ones across the small space between them.

   "Okay then." Dean nods and turns back to face the stove. He busies himself with pulling out the eggs and bacon from the fridge, and the big bowl for mixing the pancake batter. When he turns back to the fridge to grab the milk, he nearly bumps into Cas, who is standing right beside him, milk in hand. He jumps violently, steadying himself on the edge of the counter.

   "I told you not to do that." He gripes, accepting the milk into his own hands as Cas hands it over.

   "Apologies. I forget sometimes that when you start cooking you zone out all other noises and distractions. I will announce my presence better next time." Not for the first time, Dean blushes at Cas's rather astute observation of his habits.

   "Uhm, thanks." He replies awkwardly, praying that Cas doesn't notice the red flush starting to creep up from under the collar of his shirt.

   "Would you like help?" Cas inquires. "I feel bad always having you cook meals for the both of us by yourself." Dean feels his cheeks start to redden now. He never cooked anything for his previous roommates, except for Sam, but he doesn't really count. He only started to prepare meals for Cas because he wanted to spend more time with him, get to know him better. The man was an enigma, wrapped up in a mystery, with a little bow of intrigue tying it all up. For better or worse, Dean was fascinated and a little bit smitten. Against his better judgement, Dean feels himself smile.