00 the racism talk 00

This was going to go in the last chapter, but I had a really nice place to end it, so…
Here’s Sage giving Allura “the racism talk.”
Enjoy I guess.

Sage found Allura in her chambers the next day. She knocked lightly on the older girl’s door. After getting the okay from Allura, she stepped in.

“Hey,” Sage said cautiously. “Can I talk to you?” Allura smiled cordially.

“Of course.” Sage sat on the edge of Allura’s bed glancing over to where the princess sat on a small stool, brushing out her long hair in front of a mirror.

“When I was a kid,” Sage began, “my family moved to this country called Japan. It wasn’t a huge deal for Shiro and our parents, because they were Japanese, they belonged there. They looked and acted just like everyone else.”

Allura had turned to face Sage by this point, her hairbrush forgotten on the small table.

“But it was a problem for me,” Sage admitted. “I wasn’t pale and sleek and thin like all the Japanese girls. I had curly hair and dark skin and my body was a little different. The girls made fun of me for that, telling me that I ate too much and that I must have stuck my finger in a socket when I was a baby, and that’s why I looked burnt and had frizzy hair.

“And it hurt. I was young, only five when it all started. They judged me because of how I looked and where I came from. They didn’t care about who I really was, they just cared about the colour of my skin.”

“That’s terrible,” Allura said, her face showing sympathy. “I wasn’t aware that things of that sort were still going on back on your planet.”

“That’s not the worst that’s happened on Earth,” Sage said. “People have been shunned, enslaved, tortured, and killed all because of where they came from and the stereotypes that came with their race. It’s just not right.”

“Of course it isn’t!” Alllura exclaimed. “It’s wrong to assume the worst of someone just because of how they look or what those around them have done.”

Sage took a deep breath.

“Then why did you do the very same to Ulaz?”

Allura froze. She hadn’t something like that to be dropped on her.

“That’s- different,” she protested. “The Galra Empire is vile! They murdered my race and destroyed my planet. I have every right to be distrusting of them.”

“Did Ulaz destroy your planet?” Sage asked.

“No, but—”

“Then you had no right to treat him so terribly.”

An uncomfortable silence fell over the two, neither meeting the other’s gaze. Sage stood, leaving the room. She hesitated in the doorway, turning back to meet those blue eyes.

“Just think about it,” she said, and slipped down the hall.