Chapter 2

Back at the tower, Rapunzel was putting away her painting supplies as she was talking to Pascal.

"This is it. This is a very big day, Pascal." She chuckles. "I'm finally going to do it. I'm going to ask her."

"Rapunzel! Let down your hair!" Gothel called from outside.

"It's time." Rapunzel said. Pascal stood up proud as a signal for her to stand proud too. "I know, I know. Come on, don't let her see you." Rapunzel hid Pascal behind the curtains of her painting.

"Rapunzel! I'm not getting any younger down here!" Gothel called out.

"Coming, mother!" Rapunzel lets down her hair as a rope so Gothel could be pulled up. Gothel made it to the top as Rapunzel greets her. "Hi. Welcome home, Mother."

Gothel exclaims. "Rapunzel, how you manage to do that every single day without fail. It looks absolutely exhausting, darling."

"Oh, it's nothing."

"Then I don't know why it takes so long." Gothel laughs. "Oh, darling, I'm just teasing."

Rapunzel chuckles. "All right. So, Mother, as you know tomorrow is a very big day..."

Gothel interrupts. "Rapunzel look at that mirror. You know what I see? I see a strong, confident, beautiful young lady." Rapunzel smiled thinking her mother was talking about her. "Oh look, you're here too. I'm just teasing. Stop taking everything so seriously." Gothel laughed.

"Okay. So, Mother, as I was thinking tomorrow is..." Rapuznel was interrupted again. "Rapunzel, Mother's feeling a little run down. Would you sing for me, dear? Then we'll talk." Gothel requested.

"Oh! Of course, Mother." Rapunzel got everything ready quickly. She grabs a brush, gives it to Gothel, and sits her down on a chair. Rapunzel sat down on a stool and begins to sing quickly.

Flower gleam and glow, Let your power shine, Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, Change the fate's design. Save what has been lost, Bring back what once was mine.

Gothel tried to brush Rapunzel's hair, but she barely brushes any. "Rapunzel!"

"So, Mother, earlier I was saying tomorrow is a pretty big day, and you didn't really respond. So, I'm just going to tell you. It's my birthday! TADA!" Rapunzel laughed. "No, no, no can't be. I distinctly remember. Your birthday was last year." Gothel said. "That's the funny thing about birthdays. They're kind of an annual thing. Mother, I'm turning 18, and I wanted to ask. What I really want for this birthday. Actually what I wanted for quite a few birthdays now..." Rapunzel begins to mumble. "Rapunzel please, stop with the mumbling. You know how I feel about the mumbling. Blah-blah-blah,-blah. It's very annoying! I'm just teasing. You're adorable. I love you so much, darling." Gothel joked.

Rapunzel began to feel doubtful until she heard Pascal encouraging her to go on.

"I want to see the floating lights." Rapunzel blurted out.

"What?" Gothel questioned.

"Well I was hoping you would take me to see the floating lights."

"Oh! You mean the stars."

"That's the thing. I've charted stars and they're always constant. But these, they appear every year on my birthday, Mother. Only on my birthday. And I can't help but feel like they're meant for me. I need see them, Mother. And not just from my window. In person. I have to know what they are." Rapunzel explained.

"You want to go outside? Why, Rapunzel..." Gothel asked before she begins to sing.

Look at you, as fragile as a flower
Still a little sapling, just a sprout
You know why we stay up in this tower