Chapter 14 - Search and Destroy

Start from the beginning

"Children! You still may be students, but as of this moment, your first mission as Huntsmen has begun! From this point forward, you need to do exactly as I say! Do you understand?" Oobleck asked. The group nodded their heads, but Oobleck suddenly looked at Ruby, startling the red haired girl. "Ruby! I thought I told you to leave all of your bags back at school."

"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't." Ruby replied with a nervous smile. Oobleck stared for a moment then soon started to think.

"She's not wrong..." Oobleck said to himself. "Very well, Ruby; leave your bag here, we can pick it up upon our return."

"But I, well uh-" Ruby said.

"Young lady, what in the world could you possibly have in that bag that could be so important to bring it with..." Oobleck said, but received his answer as the bag's zipper opened and out popped Zwei's head, causing everyone to stare at the uninvited guest.

"Busted..." Ky muttered lowly.

"Get back in the bag..." Ruby whispered to her dog. Zwei merely barked in response.

Aptus looked between them and asked, "You guys all see the adorable corgi too, right? It's not just me?"

"No, we can see Zwei too," Yang confirmed.

"Okay. Next question: what is Zwei doing here?" Weiss asked.

Aptus had a pretty good guess on the answer to that question, and he did not hesitate in turning to his childhood friend. "Ky? Did you have something to do with this," he asked.

"What? No!" Ky said waving his hands and shaking his head. "I tried to talk her out of it, but then..."

"She hit you with the puppy dog eyes and the quivering lip, didn't she?" Yang inquired.

"...At maximum power" Ky slumped in defeat.

"Wow, you just got a girlfriend last night and you're already whipped?" Aptus teased with a smirk. "Wait until the others hear about this."

"Shut up! I'm not whipped!"

"Wait a minute." Oobleck interrupted, joining in on the conversation. "We're here to investigate an abandoned urban jungle teeming with death and hostility, and you brought... a dog?" Oobleck questioned.

"I, uhh..." Ruby said, backing away a little bit, thinking she was propbably in trouble.

"I tried to warn her, but-" Ky began before he was cut off.

"Genius!" Oobleck exclaimed, backing away long enough for Ruby to give a confused shrug before speeding past and snatching the pet away from Ruby, who tumbled to the ground as Oobleck spun Zwei in the air.

Ky's mind had to take ten full seconds to process what Doctor Oobleck had said. "Wait, what?"

"Canines are historically known for their perceptive nose and heightened sense of sound, making them excellent companions for a search such as ours!" Oobleck explained, with Zwei barking happily in his hands as the nutty professor spun him around.

After being stunned for the unexpected reaction, Ruby proudly states, "I'm a genius!" Causing Weiss and Yang, to facepalm at the grinning girl.

"More like teach over there was seduce by Zwei adorableness." Aptus whispered.

"So, what are your orders, Doctor?" Blake asked, in hopes to make things less awkward.

"Ah, yes, straight to the chase; I like it!" Oobleck said, suddenly letting go of Zwei, suspending the dog in the air for less than a second before dropping down as Oobleck placed his hands behind his back for a serious pose. "As you've been informed, the southeast area has been marked as a recent hotspot for Grimm activity. Now, there are several possible explanations for this behavior, one of which is being... Grimm."