37 | date

بنا تیرے جو گزری ، وبال جان گزری

Saturday - 6:47pm

After the storm, the calm had finally graced Hemayal Khakwani- her soul fulfilled, heart contented, mind peaceful. The long years of misery had finally ended and she hoped, for his sake and her own, that they were gone for good. Because, wallah, another storm and she would crumble like a house of cards.

But, no.

Tonight, she wouldn't focus on the past, its miseries, aches and sorrows; her sole focus would be on the future, welcoming, hopeful and bright.

"Hemayal?" Baba whispered from in front, seated on the passenger seat beside Hadeed Lala who drove.

"Hmm?" Hemayal mumbled, gazing absently out the window with a small smile on her face - that had come to be a constant ever since Ibrahim had mouthed those three words last Monday night.

"I'm sorry, after that man's death, Anas Ali, the police had hit a dead end. But we're doing everything we can to find who he worked for." Baba said and the smile dimmed for a second before Hemayal sighed.

"Baba, if I tell you to let it go, will you?" Hemayal replied, cautious not to give away too much.

"Why would you want to let it go?" Hadeed Lala asked, hands on the steering wheel while a confused expression migrated to his face.

"I just...I don't need to find who he was. It's in the past, let it stay there." Hemayal replied, casting Mehmal a quick glance who sat beside her on the back seat.

"Hami, you shouldn't let it go." Baba said, voice soft and Hemayal let out a troubled breath.

"I am letting it go. What good would finding that man do to me? It's over and I'm trying to move on now." Hemayal replied, urging Mehmal with an elbow to her sides to speak.

"Yes," Mehmal said hurriedly before coughing slightly. "I mean...Hami's right. If she's trying to move on, let her. Finding that man will only open healed wounds." Mehmal said and Hemayal cast her a grateful look.

"Okay, but what if he tries to do anything again?" Anisha Bhabhi asked, sitting beside Mehmal.

"He wouldn't. Baba found his man, that Anas Ali, so I think that was enough of a message for him. He wouldn't dare again." Hemayal replied, wanting her father off this case with a feeling that almost bordered desperation.

"Alright, if that's what you want." Baba replied, giving in, and a small smile touched Hemayal's lips.

"That is what I want." She said softly, glad that another one of her worries was out of the way.

Before, she did want her family to find out about Ibrahim, sooner or later, but not now. Now that everything was fine, them finding out about it would only complicate things and Hemayal already had had enough complications to last a lifetime.

"We're here." Hadeed Lala announced as he parked the car in front of the restaurant, exiting it and handling the keys to the valet.

Hemayal and Mehmal walked a close distance behind everyone - Hemayal due to her uncertainty and newfound hesitation and Mehmal just to keep her company. The dinner of her family with the Yaazdani's was long overdue and anticipated and she knew what was about to come but she wasn't prepared for it - not one bit.

"It's going to be okay, Hemayal. Quit worrying." Mehmal jabbed her elbow in Hemayal's sides and Hemayal would have winced hadn't she been too involved in her own worrisome thoughts.