10 | homecoming

بات تو دل شکن ہے پر یارو
عقل سچی تھی, عشق جھوٹا تھا

Tuesday 6:29am

Wounds.

They were everywhere. Everywhere her eyes travelled, everywhere they landed. Starting far off from north where her face was crowded with small marks that were painted in red to further south where Ibrahim's handkerchief still circled her foot, the wounds prickled at every inch of her visible skin. Arms, although a little safe, courtesy to the large sweater she wore, were still hurting a little too much because of the death grip of the man; the neck a whole different scenario all together.

The stunned gaze of the woman travelled all over her body, a large mirror embedded in the furniture and light reflecting from her pale face aiding to her as she studied herself with bewildered irises and numb mind. She had stood in front of a mirror only a few hours ago in her home, and yet, the two reflections, divided by a time of several hours, nowhere resembled each other.

Swollen eyes, parched lips, pale skin, dark circles - this Hemayal Khakwani was a different being all together. Wounds covering the face and collarbone where pieces of glass had previously prickled at were now turning a light shade of black and Hemayal could not control the sob that wrecked through her as she eyed her physical state in the mirror - the mental state was much worse.

The pit she had been falling in since last night seemed to have ended, all paths blocked, all tracks impassable. No thought seemed to grace her mind as she gazed at the woman in the mirror whose body was not the only thing that was harmed, her soul was equally battered. Storms of miseries and oceans of aches had hit her and she wasn't prepared. Allah, she wasn't prepared at all.

Only seeing a mere glimpse of Ibrahim Yazdani in the restaurant before had thrown her in a maze of confusions and pains, it was no wonder that last night was the worst she had ever lived through. Coming face to face with him out of nowhere, talking to him, being in his close proximity, inhaling his scent - it was a miracle she was even alive right now.

After so many years, she never thought, not even in her wildest dreams, that she would encounter him like this - bruised, broken and utterly dependent on his mercy. She never thought that after such a long time, Ibrahim Yazdani would do this to her - abduct her in the middle of the night; threaten her verbally; physically hurt her and scare her to no end. He should have been the last person on the face of the earth to have done any of that; but ironically, he was the first and the only one.

The last night had been heavy on her, too heavy; all her previous expectations were severely tattered and all her dreams were badly destroyed. The expectations she had flowered in the midst of her chaotic heart for this man were too many too count, too deep and every single one of them was wounded by his sharp words, merciless hands and ignorant actions. All of them wailed as they slowly left her heart, every one of them cried as they contracted to a bud.

After he had left last night, she had fallen down on the floor, eyes dried and soul empty. She had contemplated, deep and long, and every single one of her thought led to a similar conclusion - she would never forgive the brutality of last night; she would never forget the scathing words he uttered and she would always remember his merciless hold on her neck.

Ibrahim Yazdani could mean a lot of things to her before, but now, only a single thought stimulated her when his image flashed behind the curtain of her mind - a cold, merciless man who did not deserve Hemayal Khakwani's heart and the love that resided in it, a man who was not worthy of the thoughts that touched her brain when he was the subject.

Ibrahim Yazdani was a taboo for her before, now he had become a poison.

Hemayal was still standing in front of the mirror, motionless and unfazed when a slight movement made past the thoughts that occupied her mind and she shifted slightly in her place, suddenly alarmed. The small voices seemed to be coming from outside the door and the heart beat quickened as she turned around, facing the door which was being unlocked from outside.