03 | reunion

یار فریدا لکھ عیدان مل سن
جد مل سن وچھڑہے ماہی

Monday - 5:45pm

The atmosphere was warm but the coldness that he felt at the moment made his toes curl, the hair at the back of his neck standing up in protest. With long voluminous lashes fused with each other and casting a shadow over the dry cheeks, Ibrahim Yazdani had had his hand placed on his stomach as he resisted the urge to get himself a blanket, fearful that sleep won't bless him again if he dared to do so.

"Abi! Abi!" The serenity was broken by the familiar voice of his mother and Ibrahim groaned slightly before gathering the energy to open his eyes and respond, silencing her instantly and a moment later, she entered the living room following his voice.

"Why are you sleeping here?" She asked, worried as she saw her son sprawled on the couch and Ibrahim raked a tired hand through his jet black hair before sitting up.

"I just dozed off." He replied, sleepy eyes gazing at the worried face.

"You're on holidays, for heaven's sake. Why do you have to tire yourself like this?" His mother, Mahwash Yazdani, placed a worried hand on her son's shoulder and a small smile touched Ibrahim's lips.

"I'm not tired, Ammu. I'm sleep deprived." Ibrahim responded as he leaned forward and poured himself a glass of water from the water bottle placed on the central table.

"Why are you sleep deprived? What are holidays for if not sleeping?" Ammu shook her head and Ibrahim chuckled slightly as he gulped the warm water down his throat, the movement of his Adam's apple a magnificent sight for the artists lacking inspiration.

"Other mothers will beg to differ." He said as he wiped the corner of his mouth with the back of his hand, a lopsided grin settled on his face.

"You hardly get enough sleep, Abi." She effortlessly ignored his remark and said.

"Ammu, Safaa and I watched movies last night. We slept late and then early in the morning Abbu sent me to his office to recheck the order and pay a visit to the land side." The light brown, cognac colored eyed gazed at the woman who bore him in her hands and saw as she huffed out in annoyance.

"I'll talk to your father. Why does he not understand that you are on your holidays? You should rest." Ammu seemed annoyed and angry as she uttered and Ibrahim's hand caught hers before he squeezed it a little.

"Ammu, Ammu! It's fine. He had some other work in the morning so he asked me. Give your man a little break!" Ibrahim laughed slowly and his mother squinted her eyes at the end before laughing too.

"And besides, I'm the only one who knows business a bit. Mustafa and Safaa are hopeless cases. What else do you expect?" Ibrahim added, mentioning his brother - Mustafa, who was older than him by two springs and maternal cousin, Safaa.

"When is Mustafa coming, by the way? I didn't reach his phone." Ibrahim asked his mother as he picked up his phone from the side.

"Around half past six. Your Abbu has already gone to pick him up from the airport." His mother informed him before she got up from the couch.

"And where's Safaa? I haven't seen her since morning." Ibrahim inquired after his cousin as he raised his head and met the eyes of his mother.

Safaa, the daughter of his maternal uncle, who had lived with them since she was only 7, the reason being her the sudden death of her parents in a car accident, had always been extremely close to Ibrahim.