Chapter 16: Receding Waters

Start from the beginning

Kilowatt scoffed, squeezing the water out of her hair. "Don't even think about it, kid." She flipped back her hair, walking towards Ryan. "Besides, I'd never hurt Repulser."

Ryan furrowed his brow in confusion, struggling to hold up the wall of water. "Why? I'm pretty sure you already did that."

Ryan could've sworn he saw Kilowatt's brow furrow. "Not intentionally." She met Ryan's eye. "Throw that water in the lake. If the sidekick's not here, I've got no reason to fight."

"Yeah, but she might." Ryan angled his chin towards Repulser's collapsed form.

"She won't. She stays angry until you can pin her to the ground. Then she's your best friend."

Ryan blinked. "What are you talking about?"

Kilowatt glared at him. "Just get rid of the damn water! Do what I say!"

Ryan swallowed and lifted his arms. He quickly oriented himself before making a throwing gesture, tossing the water off towards the lake, leaving the area between the two super-powered women undefended.

Ryan's shoulders were locked in a tense stance as his eyes travelled between the two women. Kilowatt stood stock still and Repulser was still struggling underneath the chunk of brick wall. Ryan pursed his lips, watching Kilowatt as her cold stare melted away to an exhausted sigh. She rubbed her forehead in a hand, pointing towards a building. "Go to the next street. Get the officers here."

Ryan didn't think leaving Kilowatt alone with Repulser was a good idea but the firm look his mentor shot him spurred him into action. He picked up a wave beneath his feet, even though his body screamed at him to stop, and surfed down the street, turning up the road and onto the next one over.

This road was just as flooded as the rest of the town. The water was up to his ankles as Ryan jogged up to a group of police officers standing next to a toppled cruiser. "Hello, officers." He greeted, doing his best to make his voice deep. "Nice weather we're having."

"Angler! Angler, can you help us?" One of the officers called, waving his hand. "My partner's stuck under our car!"

Ryan's heart skipped a beat when he saw the officer lying on her back, her legs trapped under the flipped car. He was about to suggest they call 9-1-1 to help when he remembered that 9-1-1 was technically asking for his help. His eyes jumped between faces of the officers. They were looking to him in desperation, some with clasped hands.

Ryan bit his lip. I'm not the hero! I'm not qualified for this!

He pushed aside his fear and rubbed his hands together. "Uh, of course! I'll just... Uh... Yes." Ryan coughed, turning to the officer that had asked for his help. "If I lift the car, can you pull her out?"

The officer nodded frantically. "That's what we've been trying but it keeps sliding in the water."

Ryan let out another nervous cough. "Ah, of course. Alright. Don't worry. I can handle this. Someone call for an ambulance, I'll have her out in a jiffy."

Ryan stepped closer to the woman on the floor. Her face was red and her teeth were gritted. "Don't worry, ma'am, I'll get this off in a second." The woman nodded curtly, not making a sound. Ryan felt his stomach churn. If he messed up, this woman was definitely going to lose her legs.

Alright, water, if there was ever a moment for you to work with me, it's now. Ryan stepped back, making room for the officers to grab their friend. He held his hands out and the water mimicked his movements, creating pillars on each corner of the cruiser. He slowly raised his arms and the water pushed up. The metal creaked and didn't appear to move for a moment until Ryan gritted his teeth and repeated the movement faster, chucking the police cruiser into the air.