When We're Together

There was silence as they all stood around in the workshop. The guardians waited for Elsa to talk, she seemed to be taking a moment. The woman looked up at them, the Big Four. Jack stood next to her, trying to offer any encouragement he could. 

"I met Pitch Black. He told me that all of you abandoned me. You all... left me. My childhood was... horrible. I thank you for welcoming me now. I don't hold any of you in contempt. I just want to know why. What went wrong with me?" Elsa hopelessly said, staring at them with hurt in her eyes. 

Tooth's wings wilted as she looked down in guilt. Bunny turned to North to explain. North took a deep breath, his head hung low as he stepped forward. He then stared at Elsa, nodding. 

"As guardians, we do our best to protect the children. We try to inspire them. I bring wonder to their lives, Bunny brings hope, Tooth lets their memories thrive, and Jack lets them have fun. But we can only do so much with our roles to influence a child's life. And we have tried Elsa... One thing was successful." North turned to the yetis who came out with a trunk, setting it in front of Elsa. 

The queen recognized that trunk... 

A memory of Elsa and Anna, wandering into the attic in their Christmas dresses. Opening that trunk, revealing cards inside. 

It was that same one, cards that were written from Anna to Elsa as a child. They were all there. Little drawings of Olaf. Anna had put all her love into these cards to make Elsa happy every Christmas. Elsa looked up at North. Tears forming in her eyes. "What does this mean?" She uttered softly. 

North nodded, kneeling next to her. "We knew that your sister, was one of the only people in your life to bring you happiness. So we found a way to keep you two connected all those years." Tooth stepped forward, gently taking Elsa's hand. 

Elsa saw kaleidoscope of shapes and colors. Before suddenly seeing a small Anna. Her little sister eagerly going through her presents for Christmas. "I can't wait to see what Santa brought me!" She cheered. Opening a box and suddenly finding an empty card inside, and some coloring pencils. Anna frowned. A big pout on her face. "What... I wanted a pony." She sat there for a few moments. There was no one else around to open gifts with her. Her parents were busy after ringing the bell. A sudden idea came to mind. Anna grabbed the coloring pencils, drawing and writing a card. "Elsa will love this..." She excitedly said before running over to that same door. She knocked and then slipped the card inside. Sitting and peeking to see if Elsa had picked it up. Elsa was on the other side, taking the card and smiling. A snowman was drawn on it, Olaf. Her eyes gleamed with happiness. "Merry Christmas Anna." She whispered to the door.

 Every Christmas Anna received the same thing. Cards to make for her sister, to keep them connected. 

The memory faded away. Elsa softly gasped, realizing the truth. She looked up at North. Her eyes were glittering with tears. She had missed her sister so much. Knowing she could never speak to Anna again. All that was left was memories. 

"Children's lives can be difficult Elsa. They can be hard. It's the little things we do to try and bring some light into them again. From what Jack told me... you seem to be the guardian that will fight fear in children's lives. We believe that is a clue to your center." North smiled sadly at her. "The burden of a guardian, is sometimes feeling like we are not doing enough. But with you here. We find another way to help the children. To help them self-love." 

Elsa smiled and wiped the tears from her eyes. "Thank you... Thank you for explaining... Thank you for Anna." She gave North a hug, the old man nodding and hugging her back. The hug reminded Elsa of that of a father. North let go. "We are here for you now. We will not leave your side. You belong here." 

Jack stepped forward, he smiled at Elsa. "And we need you." He tried to hold back what he really wanted to say in his mind. 'I need you' He thought to himself. Elsa smiled at Jack, she seemed to know exactly what he thought. 

"I won't leave. If I can make a difference, I will. Fear won't hurt anyone anymore. Not while I'm here." Elsa confidently announced. The elves and yetis erupted into cheers around her. The guardians smiling at her and cheering with them. Jack smiled at Elsa, his eyes gleaming in admiration. 

'I think I'm in love.' He thought to himself. 

Elsa smiled at Jack, her eyes gleaming back. Even without words, she felt it.