Chapter 45

Lorenzo's wife? I was worried about Robert being the only one working for Lorenzo but here's someone who's closer to him and sleeps in the same fucking bed as him. Not to mention this was the first person I trusted when I first started working at the school. Out of all the things that have happened in the past weeks, this is honestly the last thing I was expecting.

"So you were keeping tabs on me, weren't you?" I ask accusingly.

"When my husband told me an old member had a girlfriend in my school, I wasn't expecting it to be you," she says nonchalantly.

"Why the different last names? How were you keeping in contact with him? Why are you working in a school if the mafia is providing for you?" I'm scrambling to keep up with the information.

"Like most people in the mafia, I needed a cover job and being a teacher was what I chose. I didn't do it because I loved the job, it was just something I was required to do. As for different last names, most people in the city know Lorenzo and he wanted to protect me from any enemies he might have. I'm his wife but most except for a few trusted people know who I am and if they have ever seen me I'm just another member," she explains coolly.

"I even live separately from my husband, but I'm not a fool of not knowing he fucked around with other women including that bitch Kerri. It's something I've had to accept over the years," she says with a  shrug of the shoulders.

"So what's the rush now all of a sudden? Why are you leaving, why are Wren and I going with you?" I question. "And answer this time because even if I wanted to run away, I don't know where I'm going nor do I have the money to go back home."

"I found out someone was investigating the group. It wasn't that hard to figure out what you and your friends were planning and you wouldn't have been able to do anything if it wasn't for him," her lips turning down in anger.

"Him? Care to elaborate," I ask in confusion.

"We've been keeping an eye on you and your friends. That blonde bitch Kerri is naive in thinking you and her husband weren't talking about us but I don't miss things. Her husband knows that the police are in deep with us and he wouldn't have been able to do anything. Instead, he calls an outside source, the army boy to assist you all," she says, her voice rising with each minute.

"You're angry because Jason called his friend from the army?" I question raising a brow.

"No, I'm angry because that fucking boy or man I should say is my firstborn son, Rafaello and he just sold out his family," she says in a furious voice. This time my jaw drops in shock and like I said earlier, I don't know if I can take much more of this. Rhett is her son? Her firstborn? Why didn't he mention it to us?

"I can't believe Rhett is your son, he never mentioned that," I say in shock and some bitterness seeping into my voice. I do appreciate him coming out to the city to help but it would have been good to know that this became a family affair when he got pulled into the equation.

"When we first came to Canada he was only fourteen and I know for a fact he told you we fled from Italy," she tells me. I nod my head silently remembering that detail. "A couple of months passed, and Lorenzo and I were teaching him the family business. He was going to be the next head if something happened to Lorenzo. Instead, that boy decided he didn't want any part in the business and ran away."

"Why didn't you call the police to help you look for him?" I question.

"Are you as dumb as that blondie? We were wanted criminals from another country and we weren't going to get tangled with the police with the chance of them finding out our history. We just let him be, and he knew not to say a word about the mafia," she says in an ominous voice.