Chapter 19

"Knock-knock," a cheerful voice rings out from the doorway. I look from my marking to see Clarissa standing at the door with her lunch in hand.

"Hey Clarissa, pull up a seat," I tell her as I move some of my papers to make space for her.

"I swear, from the day you came back three weeks ago I've barely seen you at school or after school. It's already the last day of November, I miss my friend," she pouts before breaking into a smile.

"Sorry about that. I've been preoccupied with getting Wren settled and feeling comfortable at home," I tell her as I go back to marking my class' assignments.

"Wait, hold on. What are you talking about?" she questions as she starts eating. "And aren't you eating your lunch?"

"I can't. I want to finish this first before eating. Since I missed a week of school, this is all the work that I still have to mark. As for your second question, well, I've adopted one of my students," I reveal.

"What? Are you for real? What happened?" she asks shocked.

"Well I don't want to say too much but some personal issues were going on and I didn't want him to be put in the foster system so I decided to adopt him," I explain.

"Wow, that's amazing. How's he adjusting?" she questions.

"Wren is doing so great and from what I can see he's okay with living with me," I answer, a smile on my face just thinking about the sweet little boy.

"That's so great to hear. I'm honestly praying that everything continues to transition well and that he gets better too," she says patting my arm. "If you ever need a hand with anything or you just need someone to talk with, don't hesitate to ask."

"Don't worry, I'll be sure to," I reply with a grin. Clarissa was my first friend here at the school when I started three years ago so I know I can reach out to her if I'm troubled. It's quiet between the two of us, her eating and me continuing my marking before we're interrupted with my class phone ringing. I place my pen on the papers and walk over to the phone.

"This is Charlotte," I say when I pick up the phone.

"Charlotte, could you come down to the office?" the secretary asks. In the back, I can hear a familiar voice crying and I have a sinking feeling of just who it is.

"I'll be there in a minute," I reply before hanging up.

"What happened?" Clarissa asks as I get my class keys. 

"I don't know but they need me in the office," I reply as I open the door and lock the doorknob. "Can you just shut the door when you're leaving?" Clarissa nods her head before shooing me away. I walk as fast as I can down the hall and stairs, trying not to let my worry consume me. I open the office doors and I'm met with the sight of Tricia attempting to console Wren and a lady screaming. I close the door behind me and that puts a pause to all the chaos as the focus turns to me. Wren gets up from the bench he's sitting on, running into my arms as I reach for him.

"What is going on?" I ask as I pull Wren closer to me.

"This woman is claiming to be his mother," Tricia tells me pointing at the woman that was previously screaming.

"I came to sign out my child and take him home. Hand him over to me so we can leave," she demands, holding out her hand to me. Now that I'm looking at her, I can see the resemblance she has with Wren and even Jax. Same hair colour, eye features and nose. Even their mouths look the same. It's no secret who it is.

"He's not going back with you," I tell her as I shield Wren away from her.

"What? Who do you think you are? I'm his mother and you're only his teacher," she retorts.