38. Dreaming

Sam's POV

I woke up to the sound of Jennifer crying. I looked at the clock and it was midnight. Jennifer was in a cot that the doctors brought in for her. I got up and took the blanket off her but she wasn't there. Her crying seemed to echo and I called her name but I couldn't speak. I looked over at Jim and he was still there. I approached him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Jim?" I tried to say. I still couldn't speak and Jennifer's crying intensified. Suddenly, Jim's clothes began to turn red and the blood was gushing out of his chest. "Jim!" I cried. I couldn't hear anything apart from Jennifer's crying which was filling my ears. Jim suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me to him.

I woke up and gasped. I looked at Jennifer and she was sound asleep, Jim was still in the same position and I looked at the clock. 11.57pm. I sighed and felt Jennifer's skin. She felt cold so I put an extra blanket on her. I looked at Jim and kissed his forehead lightly. "Please wake up Jim." I said as I sat back in my chair. I held his hand and soon enough I fell back to sleep.

The next morning I woke up and the doctor was writing on a clip board. "What's going to happen?" I asked. The doctor finished writing something and he turned to me. "Well, he is showing good vital signs but so far nothing else has changed. We are going to do a full test on him later to check anything else. His wound is getting better. He may be stuck in a coma I'm afraid. However, we will do everything we can to revive him." He said. I nodded and he left the room.

Jennifer was still sleeping. I took this time to call John. It rang and rang and rang.

"Hello?" He said.

"Oh John, thank god. Are you okay?"

"Fine. Fine. How's Jim, and Jennifer?" He asked.

"Fine. I'm sorry about yesterday." I told him.

"What about yesterday?" He said.

"You don't remember?" I said feeling puzzled.

"Nope. I was with Sherlock yesterday here. In Baker Street. what's wrong?" he asked.

"Never mind John. I'm just glad you two are okay. I've got to go now." I said.

"Okay, bye."

"Bye John."

I hung up and put my phone on the table. How could he not remember a thing about yesterday? Something that made him and Sherlock fall a asleep must have wiped their memory of the past few hours.

***

I sat there all day. I waited for Jim to wake up all day. Jennifer was in the nursery again and I checked on her frequently. Most of the time I talked rubbish to Jim. I sat there quiet too.

It was now 5.37pm and I was sitting next to Jim. I was holding his hand. I looked at him and wanted him to open his eyes and look at me with those beautiful brown eyes he has. I wanted him to smile his cute smile at me. I wanted him to say 'I love you' and grin at me that way. I wanted him to be with me again.

I put my head in my hands and started to cry again. I wanted myself to stop but I couldn't. I could hear Jim in my head saying, "Don't cry. There's no need to cry," and "Please stop I'm here. I'll protect you," and "I'm okay," an- Wait a minute. I looked up at Jim and saw he was staring at me. I hadn't been thinking all those things e actually said them!

"Jim?!" I cried. He forced a smile and I hugged him tightly. "Oh my god. Thank god. Oh Jim." I was really speechless and couldn't say anything at all. I let go of Jim and he tried to sit up but failed. "No, no. It's okay. Don't strain yourself." I said. "Why were you crying?" He said slowly. "Never mind that. Are you thirsty?" I asked. "No. I'm alright." He said. "Jim. I thought I'd lost you." I murmured. "I told you I'd protect you didn't I? I'm here and I'm here to stay." He said smiling.

"What about Magnussen. And Dawson?" He asked. "Dead. The police know it was me. They didn't tell me what would happen though." I told him. "You're not going to prison. I'll make sure of it." He smiled.

"How did I fall in love with such a man?" I asked myself out loud by accident. "Because I'm better than all the rest." He said with a smirk. "Oh gosh. I didn't realize you heard that." I said, kind of embarrassed. "I know that you, Jennifer and I will be just fine." He said seriously. I nodded. "I know Jim. I know. Let me go and get Jennifer. She'll want to see her daddy." I said smiling.

Jim's POV

Sam came back in with Jennifer in her arms and I smiled. "Hey Jen. I missed you." I said as Sam sat down with her on her lap. Jennifer smiled at me and she had a little toy duck. She waved it in the air and I chuckled. Sam put Jennifer in the cot to play with the other toys and I said, "When we get home. We are going to start again. New life. New house. New everything. We will be just fine." Sam smiled. God I love that smile.

~The End~