32. The Deal

Narrator's POV

"So, you wish to protect her." Magnussen's snaky voice echoed around the room. Dawson shifted in his seat. "Well, yes." Dawson said. "I was told you could help me but-"

"Of course I can help you." Magnussen said grinning. "Why exactly do you wish to help this girl if she is with someone else?" Magnussen asked Dawson as he leant back into his seat. "Well, for one thing, he's practically twice her age, and he's a dangerous man. I know what he does. I asked that guy, erm, Sherlock. He told me what he does. Now they've got a kid in the mix I think she should leave him. But I know she won't listen to me so I need your help." Dawson explained. "She was in a fire you know." Magnussen said smirking. "In a fire? She didn't tell me this." Dawson said, shocked. "Oh yes, drastic, burnt everything in that house. She could have died. Whoever did that is, well, let's just say that she's lucky to be alive." Magnussen said chuckling. "Hey, it's not funny." Dawson said. Magnussen stopped laughing and looked up at Dawson. "Right, well, I will get back to you. I'll call you if I need you. In the meantime, wait for my call." Magnussen said standing up. "RIght, okay. Thanks." Dawson walked out of his office. Magnussen sat back on his chair and smirked to himself.

***

Sams POV

Jennifer was chosen. Jennifer Moriarty.

The next day, I was sitting in the living room looking at the newspaper. Jennifer was asleep upstairs and then there was a knock at the door. I got up and headed to the door. I opened it, expecting to see Jim. However, Jim wasn't there at all. It was a tall man, dressed in a suit. "Hello dear." He said. His voice sounded soft and alluring but sounded like it could be frightening too. "Um, hello." I said. "May I come in?" He asked. "I'm sorry but, who are you?" I asked. He barged past me. "I'm a good friend of Jim's. Well, I say friend." He said. I shut the door and watched him as he looked around the house. "So where is Jim?" He called from the kitchen. "He's at work." I said standing in front of the stairs. He walked back over to me and said, "How's Jennifer? I heard you were in a fire, tragic thing." Then it suddenly hit me. No one else knew about the fire, but Jim and I. This had to have been Magnussen. "Get out." I said. He looked at me and smirked. "No, I'll wait here for Jim dear to arrive home."

"Get out of my house. Now." I said persisting. He just laughed. "I'll call the police." I threatened. "I own the police." He said in a deep tone. It made me flinch and I was scared. "A friend of yours came to me earlier. He said that he thinks Jim is dangerous, that you shouldn't be in a relationship with him. Now, that is a good point. He is a consulting criminal after aall and now you've got a daughter. That was a silly mistake wasn't it Samantha? He did kill your parents too, and I think you should never have fallen in love with him. So, I suggest you do something before you or little Jenny get hurt." Suddenly, Jim walked through the front door. "Darling, I had to come home because I-" He paused and looked up in terror at the sight of Magnussen. "I swear to god Magnussen. Get away from me and my family." he said angrily. Magnuseen chuckled. "You and your family? Well, I never thought I'd hear you say that in a million years." Jim glanced at me then back at Magnussen. "Out, now." Jim said. "Forgive me, but I seem to have missed something, I-"

"no, I don't want to hear what you've got to say. You set my house on fire and almost kill Samantha and our child. You don't get to explain yourself. You are a cold-hearted manipulative person and I want nothing to do with you. You don't actually know what it's like to love someone do you? You don't get to feel that way. You know why?" Jim said approaching Magnussen. "Why?" Magnussen simply said, all sarcasm gone from his voice. "Because you are going to get what you deserve. You're going to pay for everything you've done to me and us. Now, I suggest you go before I kill you right here and right now." Jim threatened. I looked over at Magnussen who was blank with expression. he didn't say a word and he walked out the front door. Jim shut the door after him and said, "Are you okay? Did he do anything to you?" I shook my head. He walked over to me and pulled me in for a hug. "I'm going to be there forever. Don't worry. He won't touch us. I'll make sure of it." I held him tighter. I didn't care what Magnussen said, I just knew I was safe in his arms.