<Jasper> A Boy Who is Getting his Life Back

Începe de la început

"It's good to see you, Jasper. How are things going in here?" Isaac asks, discomfort tinting his cheeks.

"I've been clean for eight months. I've never felt better." I reply with sincerity. "What are you all doing here?"

Isaac looks over at Mr. Travers and nods. My lawyer pulls a manila file out of his briefcase. He slides it across the table to me and allows me to open it as he begins to explain the contents.

"The prison is over-crowded and the prison staff has been going through their files, looking for people with non-violent offenses and short sentences. They saw how much you have improved and they have agreed to parole you early, with the caveat that you continue to attend out-patient rehab, meet weekly with your parole officer, and attend NA meetings."

I look over the release sheet with wide eyes, my heart beating out of my chest. I'm really getting out.

"And I want you to have a direction when you get out, so I have been sending your music out to local music labels. There are a few in Austin that are very excited about you. I have brokered some fair deals with all of them that you can look over and accept if you're ready to rejoin music. If not, I have looked into some other jobs that you're qualified for that can help you get back into the world."

"I'm ready to rejoin music if music will have me." I smile softly. "Thank you, Isaac, I can never repay you for all that you've done for me."

"I made a promise to you back in L.A. and I intend to keep it." Isaac returns my smile as my gaze shifts to my mom.

Isaac and Mr. Travers notice the tension and begin to pack up their things, preparing to leave.

"Jasper, you will be released in three days. Isaac and I will be here to pick you up promptly at 8AM." Mr. Travers says as he and Isaac exit, leaving me alone with my mom for the first time in nine months.

I shift uncomfortably, my chains clanging with each movement. My mom bites her lip and plays with a thread on her sweater.

"I'm sorry I've been so distant lately, you didn't deserve that." My mom sighs and looks up at me. "I guess I thought the letters would be enough."

"They were more than I deserved."

"You deserved to have your mom there to support you, to love you and guide you even when you made a mistake."

"I understand why you couldn't be there, mama." I say, the word rolling easily off the tip of my tongue. "I was exhausting to be around. I had to realize for myself that I had a problem that needed to be fix."

"No matter how exhausting you were, you're still my son. I still should've been there for you. You've been abandoned enough in your life."

"Mama, I don't want to live in the past. We both made mistakes, we both didn't know how to handle this but we're both here now. I don't wanna waste another minute being hurt or mad. I'm sorry for what I put you through, for how I hurt you. I'm sorry for what you had to watch me become. I want to move on from that. I know what happened won't go away but I want us to be a family again. I need you."

My mom brushes a tear from her eye and reaches her hand across the table to me. I hold it tight as her thumb strokes the back of my hand.

"When did you get so grown up," My mom smiles as more tears trace her cheeks. "I'm sorry for how I treated you. I'm sorry I wasn't understanding and I'm sorry I wasn't there to support you. When you grow up, it doesn't mean I shouldn't be there anymore. You still need me and I should've realized that."

"I hurt you, mama. I wasn't acting like an adult. I've changed, you've changed. I just want us to be back in each other's lives. I know things won't be the same and that's a good thing. I can't keep living in the past, wishing for Charlie. I'll see him again, someday, but right now there's Ashley and Sophie and things are better for you then they ever have been. I just want to be part of that family."

"There's always a place for you." My mom smiles and squeezes my hand. "And the family is growing too."

"What do you mean?" I tilt my head, my eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"It was a total surprise, but," my mom sets her hand on her stomach. "I'm pregnant, twins, Jasper."

Her eyes light up as she looks at me, her face suddenly appearing lighter and younger than I've ever seen it. I return her smile, as best as my bruises will allow, and rub the back of her hand.

"I'm so excited for you, mama, that's a blessing."

I look up and I see Charlie leaning against the glass in the same outfit he was wearing the night I got high. He takes off his baseball cap and crushes it in his hand as he holds my gaze. His laugh is soundless, but I feel a warmth spread throughout my chest. Thank you. I mouth and he nods before disappearing through the glass.

"Who were you talking to, baby?" My mom says as she turns around, staring directly at the place where Charlie had just been.

"Would you believe me if I said Charlie?" I feel a tear trace its way down my cheek.

"I've seen him too. I see him every time I look at you, always right behind you. My two boys, always together." My mom's eyes mist over as she runs her thumb under my eye. "He never left."

I nod and exhale a deep breath.

"I want you to know that Ashley and Sophie and I will be right out front waiting for you when you get out. You can stay with us for as long as you need."

"Thank you," I squeeze her hand, wishing I could reach out and hug her.

~~~~~

Early Friday morning, a guard comes to wake me up. Mel rolls out of bed too and pats my shoulder, telling me to wait for him on the outside. I chuckle and promise to as I grab my belongings from the cell. The guard leads me out of the cell and I watch as it closes behind me, Mel waving with a sad smile on his face. Luckily, the other inmates are still asleep, so I don't receive any crude comments on my way to the front of the prison. The guards stop at a bathroom in the lobby and allows me to change into a pair of jeans and a gray sweater that my mom dropped off yesterday.

I step out of bathroom, shackle-free and wearing my own clothes for the first time in eight months. The guard leads me outside into the Texas sunshine where my mom, Ashley, Sophie, Isaac, and Mr. Travers are standing. I feel tears wet my cheeks as Sophie runs up to me and hugs my legs. I bend down and pick her up, holding her close.

"I missed you, Jasper." She whispers and kisses my cheek.

"I missed you too, Sophie, but I'm not going anywhere like that ever again."

I walk us over to Ashley and my mom. Sophie reaches out for my mom, who takes her gently in her arms. Ashley smiles at me and I surprise him by pulling him into a hug. His embrace tightens around me.

"I'm sorry for everything, Ashley."

"It doesn't matter. I'm just glad you're still here."

He kisses the top of my head and something catches in my throat.

"I'm glad my mom has someone like you in her life, that I have someone like you in my life." I whisper, just loud enough for him to hear.

He responds by kissing my head again and releasing me. He takes Sophie from my mom, so she can hug me. She pulls me close to her and I feel her tears on my neck.

"I'm here, mama, I'm not going anywhere. I promise."