Chapter 6

Hizashi jumped out of your arms before you landed, summersaulting to a halt in the middle of the street. The area was filled with heroes and civilians alike, the paramedics were only just arriving while the police formed a barrier.

"Captain!" Hizashi called out over the noise, the air around him rippling from his heighten voice.

The police Captain doled out his last set of orders and made his way to us. "What happened?" Hizashi asked.

"A group of anti-hero extremists targeted the labs, they tried to escape by the sewers three blocks to the east, but Endeavor lead a team the pursue them and they're engage in combat with the terrorist now." The captain swallowed hard; he was obviously panicked.

Hizashi was about say something but he drowned out by a thundering explosion, the building erupted in flames as glass and debris showered the streets. You looked to Hizashi, he wasn't much help here, he'd be better helping out with the capture effort. You turned to the captain who had clapped his hands over his ears. "Mic, you go to the combat zone, I'll stay here and try to stabilize the fire."

Hizashi nodded and off he went, the Captain leading him towards the fight. You spun around towards the building; the water type heroes were barely keeping the fire from spreading let alone putting it out.

"Y/n!" you heard a gruff voice call over the chaos. Shota was running towards you, his capture weapon barely wrapped around himself properly.

"Shota" you called back. "You got here quick!"

He nodded. "Where's Mic?"

"There's a capture effort underway three blocks east of here, he went to help." His chest was heaving with heavy breaths. Though he kept his expression neutral, you could tell he was panicked. Who wouldn't be as they showed up to the scene of a terror attack? "Go, you'll be more helpful there."

He grabbed your hand and looked into your eyes. "Be careful."

You nodded and he ran off towards the fight. You turned back to the raging fire; the flames had begun to spread to a neighbouring shop. The best option was to form an air vacuum and snuff out the oxygen. The issue was that it would be the most effective in the centre of the inferno, you'd have to get as close the centre of the build as possible.

You ran over to one of the water type heroes, he was young and shaking but none the less trying with everything he had to contain the inferno.

"Listen up!" you shouted over the noise. "I need you to keep the fire off me. I'm going to create a vacuum and snuff out the fire, but I need to get closer."

He nodded and you could see a hint of relief flush over him. He was exhausted.

"Ready?" He nodded and you darted forwards. He doused the flames in front of you, clearing a small path into the building's lobby. Once inside you watched as the flames reignited behind you, his power waning. You got as far into the building as you could, the central supports of the building crumbling inwards. The air was thick with black smoke and even though you kept up a gust around you to try and clear the air it was just recycling the fumes. By the time you got deep enough into the building your lungs felt like they were lined with sandpaper and your eyes burned so badly that you had tears running down your face.

You knew that you had to act fast as your head began to swim from the fumes. You knelt down to steady yourself, the tile scorching through the knees of your pants. You reached upwards, your shoulder screaming against the movement. You started slow, making sure you could hold your form. As small funnelling wind began to form on your palm, and as you extended it upwards and outwards the flames began to syphon into it. You tore through the floors above you, the winding wind collecting and throwing debris away from you as it went until you caught a glimpse of the sky.

You widened the cyclone, the flames rushing into it creating a pillar of fire. Your palms began to blister and hiss, you could smell your own flesh burning. Shaking, you held the pillar for as long as you could. In one swift movement you clenched your fists creating an updraft, insulating the firestorm. You pulled your arms in, the chaotic swirling winds folded in on themselves. For a moment you weren't sure if you'd be able to hold the winds long enough to snuff out the flames, the heat and the fumes turning your body to rubber.

You clenched your fists against your body and screamed trying to relieve some of the pressure. And suddenly everything was dark, the bright red light of the flames was gone, and you dispersed the winds. Hot air rushing out in all directions around you. You slid down to floor, your tense body burning with exhaustion. The first of the debris that was stuck in the cyclone began to fall around you, but you couldn't move. The best you could do was curl up into yourself hoping to make yourself small enough to avoid getting hit.

The edges of your vision blurred and dimmed, sweat and tears slid down your face onto the hot tile floor. You tried to keep your eyes open, tried to stay awake but you couldn't help yourself. The world was fading too quick, and you were fading with it.