Chapter 7

I got off work 3 hours before my usual logout so I have enough time to travel going to the airport in Manila. I was also anticipating heavier traffic because the SEA games started that week. Unlucky day for me. It was raining very hard.

I went straight to the terminal of the point to point bus. Then texted Lucien that I was at the bus station. He replied 20 minutes after using audio. He said he was driving. He was still out and exploring the city in his newly bought secondhand motorcycle. I told him it was raining really hard and no bus yet. He told me to be patient because I have enough time. He said, "Oh don't worry, you have a lot, a lot of time. Don't worry, you will arrive. I prayed to the sun and buddha. Hahaha!" Yeah, he's just cool about it. He doesn't want me to get stressed out, telling me it's still early. My flight was at 9:55pm. It was only 2:30pm. When no bus arrived at 3pm still, I started to worry again. I counted the time again how many I got left before my flight.

A bus arrived at 3:30pm but it wasn't for NAIA (Manila airport), it was for Trinoma Mall in Manila. I was thinking of getting on it but it would be a hassle taking a cutting trip going to the airport. I'd rather take the one that's going straight to the airport.

The assistant driver got off the bus and went to the dispatcher's table that's behind the passenger's lounge. One passenger asked him how long it takes to get to Manila. He said it's 4-5 hours because of heavy traffic. My eyes widened and my heart palpitated, lol! So, I started doing the Math, if the bus arrives and leaves at 4pm, I have 5 hours and 55 minutes before my departure. Plane leaves at 9:55pm. If travel time is 5 hours, I have 55 minutes left! Seriously? It's an international flight! I should have at least 2 hours or the latest should be an hour and 30 minutes before my departure, considering checking in, paying the travel tax and Immigration, that is, if Immigration line is not too long. Good thing I already checked in online and I don't have checked in baggage. The 5 hours travel time bothered me.

At a quarter to 4pm, the bus for the airport arrived. It left for Manila at exactly 4pm. So, I still have almost 6 hours. Then I sent him a selfie and captioned it, "Bus now... at last!" He replied after more than 15 minutes.

Him: "😍😍😍 where are you now, baby?"

Me: "Just left 15 minutes babe. So, I still have a long way before I arrive in  Manila."

Him: "Nothing to worry babe, you have enough time."

Me: "I hope so, babe. I hope and pray there's not so much traffic."

Him: "You worry too much, love. I'm sure you can make it."

Me: "Crossing my fingers, love."

Him: "Okay, I'll let you enjoy your bus ride. Just text me when you are at the airport already. Don't get stressed out, okay? Be positive, baby. Bisous."

Me: "Okay babe, thanks. Kisses."

My seatmate was an old man. I forgot his age. Maybe between 57-65. He was with his 2 daughters and grandson. They were going to Taiwan for a vacation. He was friendly and talkative. He said the vacation is a treat from her daughter (with the son) that just arrived from Japan, working as a waitress. He said she's separated from the father of her son and has a new boyfriend. Like I wanted to know all of this information! Lol. He told me he and his wife are no longer in good terms but she flew from Mindanao to Pampanga to see her daughter. However, her daughter doesn't like her much (anymore) reason why she didn't her let go with them. He told me he didn't tell his daughters to "unlike" their mom, they are already big enough to decide for themselves.

He asked where I was going to, I said to Cambodia. He asked what I was gonna do there, I said see my boyfriend. He asked if he's Cambodian, I said French. Then he was like, "Oh, European boyfriend! Must be rich!" Lol. He's funny.