《 Chapter Twenty-Nine 》

"We all have our conflicts; whether it be internal or external. Oftentimes it is both."

"Master Esmerion!"

The youth spins to face the voice and his eyes widen comically. A short yelp of surprise looses from his lips and he jolts backward as a staff fires past his head and lodges in the Heartstone.

He stares at the distinct markings engraved along the staff in silent horror, but walks up to it nonetheless and pulls it from the crystal with a shaky hand. A shudder of chill runs up his arm, freezing his veins with darkness and settling within his beating heart. And while he ignores this, he can't help but feel relieved by the page of paper pinned to the tip of the staff.

"It's the incantation," he breathes, eyes skimming down the ink lettering. Then he stops breathing altogether, but there's a glimmer of praise in his eyes. "But there's a wee issue."

"What kind of issue?" Jim questions, trying to take the page from his brother's hand.

Esmerion lifts it from his reach and shakes his head slowly, gaze coming to rest on Barbara's near unconscious figure. "Breakin' the curse is gonna cause our dear doctor to lose some of her memories. More specifically, the ones of magic."

"So she won't remember any of this," Jim sighs with defeat, searching his brother for any trace of a lie. Finding none, he slumps, wandering over to his mother's side. 

"'Fraid not," he admits, handing the page to Vendel. 

"What are you saying?" Barbara starts with concern. "I'm gonna forget Trollmarket? That Jim's a Trollhunter and Tyler has magic?"

The youth flinches slightly. Right, he hadn't told her his real name. 

"I'll leave you with a moment of privacy," Vendel says carefully, choosing to lead Blinkous and Stricklander from the chamber. "Then, we should enact the conjuration."

"Agreed," Esmerion straightens, grimacing at the thought of the inevitable conversation.

Vendel does not spare him a hint of sympathy, finding it better to instead judge the youth's actions. He is unsure how to handle his appearance and nature, and acts as such to ensure the safest possible choices are made. It is better to be cautious and wrong, than to be reckless and at threat.

"Guess we're  gonna have to start this conversation again, huh?" Jim jokes, smiling weakly at his mother.

"Listen to me, Jim," Barbara starts, eyeing him and his brother, "Tyler. Promise me that we will, okay? It took all this for you to tell me about...your other life."

The boy turns to his foster-brother, pleading silently that he helps. It doesn't sway the lad into coming over but he offers a minuscule smile.

"I...I just didn't want to worry you," he decides. "And I know I have."

"Yes, yes, you have," she agrees with him, cupping his cheek with her hand. He leans into her touch. "I am worried. I'm scared but listen to me. It's my job to worry. And it's not your job to protect me. I want you to know something. Even before you found your amulet—way before all this—you were always my hero. My beautiful boy."

Esmerion looks away. There's a frown on his lips and hurt glimmering in his eyes. It's not her fault, no. But he misses that treatment. The way his own mother bore her love on to him and his siblings. He wants...