《 Chapter Twenty-Seven 》

"There are mistakes in all that we do, which is why we must learn from them."

"Tyl-er-Esmerion, how long ago did you regain your memories?"

The youth grimaces slightly, running a hand through his bronze hair to calm himself. "The incident with the Pixies. Nasty little buggers."

Jim frowns at him but agrees nonetheless. They had all hated the experience and wish it were easy to forget. Even if Angor Rot had not been involved, the Pixies were a literal nightmare.

"And how-" he gestures wildly to the scorch marks and flattened wreckage of market stalls, "-did you manage this?"

Esmerion chuckles quietly, pulling the cloak further over his shoulders. Most of the inhabitants make a mad dash to get out of the way as he wanders the street of Trollmarket with Jim, though he can feel the burning gaze of those that they pass. It doesn't bother him much, it just makes this conversation a little less private.

"Perhaps that is a question to be answered elsewhere," he eyes a particularly unbothered Troll standing too close for any real comfort. "Do you mind?"

"Whatever," says the Troll and he wanders away.

"Look, Jim, me point is that I can't discuss this out 'ere," he bumps the boy's shoulder lightly. "I need somewhere with a sense of security."

Jim smiles weakly, only for it to fall moments later. The dull look is back in his eyes and any mask of pleasantness has slipped from his grasp. His mind is not in the moment, nor is it within the area of their traversing.

"Jim?" Esmerion stops his light playfulness to carefully examine the boy. He tilts his head slightly and places a hand on his arm, sympathy reflecting in his eyes. "Oh, Jim. She'll do well, y'know? If she can take down a Troll as strong as Draal with nothing but a bottle o' perfume, she can make it through this."

The young Trollhunter nods, eyes downcast and dark. It's not difficult to see his distress, nor is it hard to sense his growing turmoil.

"Come 'ere," he offers, pulling his friend into a hug. He rests his chin on the head of the boy, allowing himself to become a place of comfort. "We'll go see her, yeah? We'll go an' see her."

《《》》

"Kanjigar warned me about this," Jim says sullenly. "Trollhunters shouldn't have personal connections."

This earns him a gentle squeeze from his foster-brother, who stands with his arms around the boy's middle. He doesn't particularly care about how his position might be perceived, so long as he provides some sort of comfort.

Both Esmerion and Blinky-who he had learnt the name of only moments ago-scoff quietly at the claim.

"Yes, and forgive me for disagreeing, but Kanjigar was wrong." The Troll shakes his head, placing two of his hands on his shoulders. "If there's one thing I've learned in my time as a member of your species, Master Jim, it's that the human bond, your love for each other is your greatest strength."

"He's right," the bronze-haired boy comments softly. "Human bonds, parental or otherwise, can be much stronger than anythin' ye know. Love is the greatest weapon an' the strongest defense."

Blinky nods in agreement, hiding his unease well. "No matter what magic Vendel is able to work, make no mistake, it will ultimately be the love you share with her, that will see her through."