5. Monster Gentleman

Dear Journal,
If there was ever a time where I felt weak or vulnerable, I do not remember. For I am light years away from the man I use to be and it feels amazing.

                                                             - 𝓔. 𝓢𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓵𝓮
    (1605)

Elias and Emma set off to Grangewell at nightfall.

He walked with a chattering Emma who tried to convince him that he longer needed her so it would be best to let her go since she did not want to go back to the castle.

As she spoke to him, she kept the hood of her cloak up so she would not be easily recognized. Elias thought it to be silly as it was not as if the commonfolk knew how she looked anyways. The rumor that spread among the people was that she was as ugly as sin. This however, was exactly what it was.... a rumor.

"Listen to me, Elias. I cannot help you. My only wish is to never return to that castle! You don't know what it is like there." she pleaded with him as they finally left the dirt track road, walking into the town.

Grangewell was busy tonight. The air was arid and calm, the people dull and unknowning. He didn't exactly like Grangewell. His father had told him stories of their history with uncommon tragedies so at a young age, Elias thought the place to be cursed; a beacon for bad luck. Now, here he was strolling into town, a monster in disguise. He could not help but think that his grandfather may have been right right.

"Did ye' hear about Marewood? About 50 people were slaughtered by some monster." he heard a man say to his lady companion as they walked home.

"A monster? Don't be ridiculous!" She shunned him.

Elias stifled back a smile. All the while Emma watched him as they walked.

"What are they talking about?" She finally asked.

He took the opportunity to glance at her. His honey gold irises glowing like molten iron. She thought it was absolutely farcical that no one realized he wasn't human. It was as clear as day as just glancing at him. His eyes, his skin, his nails, his demeanor. His entire presence screamed of the supernatural. Yet here they were strolling through the oblivious town undetected.

"I have not the slightest clue." he told her, his eyebrows raising at his own lie.

They came upon the tavern Elias was headed for. Emma stopped at the bottom of the wooden steps as she refused to go in.

"I will not follow you any longer." she protested.

"Don't be a fool." Elias said rolling his eyes. It was a very human act. He was surprised he had done it.

"No! I can't." Emma refused.

"You will come or I will murder everyone in this town, including you." Elias threatened.

Sweat washed over her face as she stood there looking at him. He was serious and she knew it. She had heard the people talking about an attack on Marewood and on the contrary to what Elias thought, she was no fool. He must have been responsible.

She huffed as she came up the steps, pushing past him.

"You have to let me in." Elias told her just as she was about to enter.

"Why?" She frowned.

"Common courtesy, I'm a monster gentleman." Elias told her.

Emma rolled her eyes at him. Ofcourse he was lying but she didn't want to agitate him.