"Yeah, I'm alright." He lied to his King, turning promptly back around to neaten the bed as he did so.

Arthur squinted, seemingly unhappy with the answer he was given. It was too open. But he didn't want to push Merlin, assuming he was still slightly delirious from the blow. Even upon seeing Merlin that morning alive and talking, Arthur was still struggling to get the image of the battle out of his head.

"Quite a speedy recovery then, Merlin? I'm impressed." Arthur said with a smile but was still unconvinced that his manservant had 'fully' recovered. But Merlin was obviously fit enough or Gaius wouldn't have allowed him to work this morning, so he decided to answer Merlin's question.

"Well then, speaking of horses..." Arthur started whilst looking down at his scroll. Merlin turned around at the familiar buzzing of someone's voice he was used to by now and tried to subtly look at Arthur's lips. It looked weird, thus why Merlin was trying to conceal it. Lipreading would be the only way that Merlin had any chance of understanding Arthur.

Because Arthur was looking down instead of directly at him, Merlin stood no chance at comprehending the King's words, which he knew were likely orders for him. Merlin internally groaned as he saw that Arthur was still talking with absolutely none of it going into his head.

"...you need to muck out the stables, we're going on patrol tomorrow morning fairly early so we'll need the horses ready." Arthur paused to look up at his manservant, who was stood still by his bed, pillow in hand. Merlin smiled at him to show that he was listening, or at least to give that impression.

Arthur was about to continue what he was writing on his scroll but then remembered something else he needed. "Oh, and Merlin? I think my sword needs sharpening. You can do that afterwards."
Finally, Merlin thought. He saw the words "sword" and "sharpen" and figured out one of his jobs for that day. The rest lay unclear.

"I'll get right on it, your royal pratness." He said slightly chirpier, letting the happiness of being told a job that meant he could leave get to him. Normally, he'd stick around in Arthur's chambers for a bit and probably insult the King once or twice, but these were no normal circumstances. He turned on his heels.

Being called a royal prat made Arthur smile, relieved that Merlin's sense of humour hadn't been knocked out of him. He glanced back at his scroll.

"Kind of you, Merlin. Be ready for training after..." Before Arthur could finish his sentence, he heard his chamber door shut and the familiar sight of Merlin had disappeared. He looked up now with sheer confusion. Merlin always stayed for a bit before going about his duties, why'd he just suddenly leave? Arthur's mind became plagued with similar thoughts.

Any other master would've fired their servant for simply walking out before they had finished talking as it was seen as improper behaviour, but Arthur was different. Firing Merlin didn't even come into the equation. If Merlin hadn't been injured over the head the day before, Arthur would've gone after him and maybe ask him why he did that. But he cited that the man probably wanted to get on with his jobs so he could get off earlier, perhaps under Gaius' instruction.

Gaius. That was who Arthur needed to see.

Merlin walked through the castle halls on his way to the armoury, passing several other servants on the way, returning each smile that was given to him.

As he passed the kitchen, Merlin paused outside of it. He watched as the cooks bashed together their pots and shout for each other like they usually did. One servant that was helping the kitchen for the day even dropped all the plates they were holding, causing them to smash everywhere. Everybody in the area spun at the commotion, but Merlin didn't even flinch. The sound of the smashing plates was dull to him like it hadn't even happened. Merlin felt his breathing get heavier as he stared intensely at the smashed remnants as he had earlier with the book. He couldn't even hear sounds from the noisiest part of the castle.

He was brought back down to Earth by another servant who brushed against his shoulder in a hurry. Merlin was so startled that he nearly let out a burst of magic, stopping himself just in time.

He needed to get out of there.

Luckily, the armoury wasn't too far away. Even luckier for Merlin was that not a soul was in there when he arrived. The knights were at the tavern for some reason that Merlin rattled his brain for but couldn't remember. Not that he minded that day as he wanted to avoid conversations that could draw suspicion. The warlock found his masters sword and began doing as he was told, sitting himself down on a bench. He tried to focus on doing the task but found it difficult to relax his breathing.

Telling himself to snap out of it, he got on with his job.

Gaius looked up from his work at the sound of the door creaking open and found himself staring into the eyes of the King. He had predicted a visit from Arthur today and so halted his work for a moment.

"Ah, Sire. How may I help you today?" The old physician said, moving away from his bench, his hands behind his back, ready to listen to the King.

"Gaius, just the person I wanted to see. Do you have a moment?"
"Certainly, my Lord. I was only organising my books, something which Merlin should've done for me..." Gaius cursed himself, he shouldn't have brought up Merlin. Now, Arthur was bound to ask about him.

He tried to change the subject. "What can I help you with?"
"Merlin, actually. I came to ask about his injury, George didn't tell me much."
Gaius hesitated before answering. "Ah, I see. Well, he acquired a head wound as I'm sure you know. Other than some occasional dizziness, I can say that he's perfectly fit now."
"Are you sure? He seemed a bit...out of it earlier."
"I'm sorry, Sire. I don't follow you."
"Well, he wasn't as chatty as usual. Not his regular incompetent self. He actually wanted to do his jobs." Arthur really was observant, especially when it came to Merlin. Or at least, he liked to think so.
"I would've thought a bit of quietness from Merlin would be a blessing." Gaius uttered, not really meaning it. He was just trying to deter Arthur.
Arthur let out a small laugh. "Usually, yes. But you should have seen him, Gaius."
"It's likely to be the dizziness causing it, my Lord. It will wear off."
"I should hope so. He also walked out of my chambers before I finished giving him an order, it was like he couldn't even hear me."

Gaius visibly tensed at Arthur's last remark, which the younger man picked up on. Arthur could see that Gaius knew something that he didn't and if it were about Merlin, Arthur swore he would get to the bottom of it.
"Well, if that will be all, Sire. I really must get on..."
"There's something more to his injury, isn't there?"
"What? No, Arthur. He's perfectly alright..."
"I'm not a fool, Gaius. I can see there's something more to it. I only wish you'd tell me."

Gaius knew he could lie to the King no longer. He silently hoped that his ward would forgive him for what he was about to do, but knew it would probably benefit Merlin in the end.

Letting out a sigh, Gaius answered his King. "Well, your majesty. I'm surprised you haven't figured it out." The older man answered holding truth in his words.
Arthur shook his head. "What do you mean?"
Gaius turned to glance back at Merlin's room since the door was slightly open and peered at the book he had so hardly thrown that morning, hoping that he was making the right choice for Merlin's sake.

"Gaius?" Arthur said with a hint of desperation, which prompted the physician to turn and face him.

"He can't hear you, Arthur. He hasn't been able to hear a word you've said since the attack."