"What?"

I looked behind him at the fish lady who he had previously been talking to. She gave me a similar look to the smaller skeletons, so I promptly moved my gaze back to the one yelling at me. "You wan't to keep it?"

He vigorously nodded, and I was a little scared he was going to break his neck.

"Yeah, I guess you can have it, I don't see why not," I gave a light laugh. This whole experience seemed so surreal.

I could faintly hear the other monster mumble something under her breath. I chose to ignore her. A lot of people hate me, whats a few more?

The skeleton happily tore it from my notebook, opening one of his folders and placing it in. I'm surprised he could grab anything with the size of his gloves. It was almost impressive.

"Its not even that good," The shorter skeleton turned from his seat in front of us. "I could draw better than that."

"I THINK ITS GREAT, SANS!" He was clearly unaware of the hatred the other monster held in his voice.

Sans? That was his name? Like the font? Its not the weirdest name I've heard, but its up there.

He turned his gaze from the paper to me, looking me in the eye. I gulped, a strong sensation of opia washing over me. I wonder if he meant for me to feel so intimated.

*Opia: The ambiguous intensity of looking someone in the eye, which can feel simultaneously invasive and vulnerable.

Sans opened his mouth again, presumably to spit another insult at me, but was cut off by the teacher smacking the board with a ruler.

"Alrighty! That was the bell, so lets get this show on the road, shall we? Now, in the center of your tables are three beakers..."

Sans stared at me for what felt like forever. The pure hatred in his eyes made me feel like dissolving. I couldn't stand it. Something about his eye sockets made the whole thing eerie.

Finally, he turned around to face the front. I felt as my body relaxed, slouching over the table. I sighed shakily; This was a mess. When monsters first came to the surface, I was so excited. I thought that maybe new friendships would start, maybe a few will join The Group and change things up a little. Look how well that went.

"WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR CHEEK?"

I jumped at the question. His voice was lower than it had been a few moments ago. Why didn't he talk like this all the time?

I raised a brow, bringing a hand to my cheek, flinching back at the rough feeling of a scab. I ran my fingers over it, eyes widening at how long it was. How in the hell...?

"But what about-?" I received a quick slap across the face for questioning him. Fair enough, I guess.

"No. Exceptions."

Jacob.

I should've checked in the mirror before I came to class.  What was I thinking? I'm always so careful, how did I forget about this?

Think, think, think...

"I uh, I scratched it on a tree in my backyard." I shot the tall monster a quick smile. There we go. Nice save, me.

"BUT YOU DIDN'T HAVE IT AT LUNCH?"

Shit.

"I-I meant the school backyard. You know, by the gym field?" I sputtered out, "I wen't out there after lunch with my boyfriend."

"BUT-?"

"Aren't you mad about lunch?" I quickly spoke,  "What my boyfriend said? Why are you being nice to me?" Changing the subject was my last defense.