Harry stood up and nodded goodbye to his friends before heading out. He had some homework he needed to get done but he wanted to get some fresh air first. He didn't want to be around all that tension when he had things to think about himself.

He sat down on the edge of the fountain in the courtyard, staring up at the sky. The Fall air felt nice on his skin. He always felt stuffy in his uniform. He loosened his tie and unbuttoned a button on his shirt so he felt less like he was choking.

"Uniforms were made for people like you."

Harry looked up to see Draco had stopped in front of him with a smirk on his face.

Harry raised an eyebrow. "And who are these people that are like me?"

"People that wouldn't put effort into their look without being forced to."

Harry smiled. "It takes effort to put on a hoodie and jeans."

Draco huffed out a laugh and sat next to him. "Maybe, but you look more put together in the uniform." He looked Harry up and down. "Sort of."

"Not everyone is used to wearing suits all the time. Also, who would want to wear a suit on our day off?"

"You're wearing your uniform on a Sunday."

"That's because I thought it was Monday and didn't realize it wasn't until breakfast."

"That sounds like you."

Harry smiled. "So, why do you wear suits all the time?"

"Can you see me wearing jeans, Potter?"

Harry thought about it and laughed. "Guess not."

They sat in silence for a while before Harry spoke again.

"Aren't you afraid people are going to see us and wonder what's going on?"

Draco shrugged. "I should and do but...I don't want to." Draco ran his fingers through his hair. "Not that it matters what I want."

"That's not true. It matters to me."

"Why?"

"Because you matter to me."

"But you hated me a few weeks ago. That doesn't just go away."

"No, not just." Harry put his hand over Draco's. "It's been a gradual change. I just haven't noticed it until recently."

"How? You don't know me."

"I do know you—"

Draco got to his feet. "No, you don't."

"Then we'll get to know each other. But if this is going to work you've got to stop treating me like an enemy."

"Aren't you?"

"Draco—"

"I don't know what you expect from me. We've been enemies for years. I can't just flip a switch and change that."

"I'm not asking you to flip a switch. I'm asking you to try."

****

Draco looked down at him. He thought about what it would be like to be with Harry. To let his walls down and be honest with someone. The person he was most honest with was Blaise but that wasn't the same. They were in the same boat with deatheater parents but they couldn't help each other get out of their mess. Blaise and Draco could only understand and sympathize with each other. But if Harry knew, and if he really did care about him, maybe...

Draco didn't dwell on the thought. It was absurd and delusional. They would never get that far. So, he should just enjoy it, right? What was wrong with that? No one had to know. He could try. He could ride the wave until it inevitably crashed into the shore. He was already broken beyond repair. What were another few scratches?

"I'll try to try," Draco said, finally.

Harry's lips twitched as he tried to suppress his smile. "Deal."

"But you should know that I can't give you much—"

"I know," Harry stood up and put his hand on Draco's arm. "I'm happy with whatever you can give me."