Chapter 28

"Sit down, Draco," The Dark Lord gestured to the chair across from him.

Draco sat down, trying to hide his nerves.

"When I got a letter from one of your classmates, I wasn't worried," he started. "But the letters kept coming and I knew that I had to talk to you. So, Draco, I need you to tell me the truth." He leaned forward. "Are you dating Harry Potter?"

Draco saw this coming so he didn't let anything emotion show on his face except disgust. "No, my lord."

Voldemort's red eyes flickered across his face and Draco tried not to squirm. "So, these are just rumors?"

"Yes, my lord."

Nagini looked up at Draco and hissed at him. Then before Draco could react, Voldemort had his wand out and was pointing it at him. Draco screamed and fell to his knees. Pain rippled through his body as he curled in on himself.

"Don't lie to me, Draco," The Dark Lord said, looming over him. "If you tell me then this will end."

Tears streamed on his cheeks. "I—I did, my lord."

"And I should believe you over the dozens of your classmates that stepped forward?"

Draco was finding it hard to think. His entire body was burning and the Dark Mark on his arm was crying blood. "I hate him. I wouldn't—we wouldn't..." he choked, forcing air into his lungs.

Voldemort finally let up and Draco fell in a heap on the floor.

"Why are you two sharing a dorm now?"

"Dumbledore..." Draco took a deep breath. "He did it so that Potter could keep an eye on me."

"Albus suspects you?" The Dark Lord grabbed Draco under the chin and forced him to look up, his long nails digging into his skin to the point of drawing blood. "I gave you this job because I knew that you could get it done. Are you trying to prove me wrong?"

Draco gave a slight shake of his head. "No, my lord."

Voldemort thrust him back on the floor. "Time is ticking. I think you need more motivation." He pointed his wand at Draco. "Crucio."

The only small mercy Draco was given was when he finally passed out from the pain.

****

Harry woke up in a cold sweat. His heart was beating hard in his chest and it took him a minute to realize where he was. Then he looked for Draco before realizing that he was alone. Which meant that his dream...

No. It couldn't be real. Draco had gone home to see his mum. Voldemort couldn't be at his house, right? But those screams and Draco. It was just like what happened last year with Mr. Weasley. Except for this time, he couldn't do anything but watch as Draco was tortured. Harry wanted to go after him and see if that had really happened. It could have just been a nightmare, right?

Harry laid back on the sheets, too restless to fall back asleep. It wasn't real. It couldn't be real. When Draco came back, he would tell Harry everything and he'll realize that he was being crazy. Just a nightmare. Harry hoped Merlin that he was right.

****

Draco woke up in his bed with his mum sitting on the edge of it, wiping sweat from his brow with a damp towel.

"Hello, sweetie," his mum smiled softly.

Draco didn't dare move. His whole body was throbbing, which meant that no one had healed him.

"He won't let me heal you until you leave for school," Mum explained as if reading his mind.

Draco didn't speak. He felt betrayed and hurt. Here he was, willing to kill a man to keep his parents alive and they wouldn't defend him. He didn't even want to look at his mum.

"I'm sorry," she put a hand on his shoulder. "You'll be off to school tomorrow and everything will be okay.

Nothing will ever be okay again.

****

When Draco got back to Hogwarts, he was relieved. He refused to talk to his mum and luckily didn't have to talk to Voldemort again. His mother had healed him but that did nothing for the emotional scars. All he wanted to do was go to his dorm and curl up with Harry, but he knew that couldn't happen.

Instead, he went to Snape's office. He was sitting at his desk, grading some papers and looked up when Draco walked in. He didn't seem surprised to see him there.

"I need your help," Draco said, for the first time in a long time.

Snape put down his quill. "What happened?"

"Doesn't matter. I just need you to tell Dumbledore that I'm moving back to my old room."

Snape seemed surprised. "Really?"

"Too many stories are going around and..." I can't handle them. "It's better this way."

"All right," Snape said, slowly.

"And I need one of the house-elves to bring my stuff. I—I can't go back there. I don't want to run into him and have to explain."

Snape nodded. "Consider it done."

"Thanks."

Draco turned to leave when Snape said, "I am sorry for you."

Tears threatened to fallfrom Draco's eyes so he hurried out of the room.