Chapter 3

"How was studying with Malfoy?" Hermione asked.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were sitting around the common room, books spread out around them (most of them belonging to Hermione).

Harry looked up from his essay. He was about to tell them that it wasn't actually a tutoring session but hesitated. They would ask him why he was agreeing to this. The fact that Malfoy wasn't cooperating would get him out of helping him. That would be the easiest solution. But he hadn't and he wasn't sure why. Malfoy didn't deserve his help but it was obvious that he needed help. Harry didn't think he'd care, though. He needed to sort out his own feelings before he brought his friends into the mix.

"You know how he is," Harry said. "He told me that he didn't need help, least of all from me, and complained the whole time. It wasn't a productive evening."

"I would expect nothing less," Ron chimed in.

"Are you going to tell Slughorn that tutoring him isn't productive?" Hermione asked.

Harry shook his head. "You know what Dumbledore said. I've got to stay on Slughorn's good side. And if that means getting through some study sessions with Malfoy then so be it."

****

"So, how did your study date with Potter go?" Blaise asked.

Draco threw a book at him which he dodged while laughing.

"You're an arse, Zabini," Draco hissed.

"That bad then?"

"Any minute spent with the idiot is bad. I asked for us to study in silence and he kept talking. And when he wasn't running his mouth, he was mouthing the words as he read. It's as if he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut."

"Hmm," Blaise mused. "It seems your concentration was on his mouth the entire time."

"I will end you, Zabini."

Blaise leaned back in his chair and grinned. "Why don't you just kiss him to get it out of your system? Then maybe you'll be able to concentrate—"

This time the book found its mark.

****

"Why haven't you been putting in the time with your homework?" Harry asked at one of their tutoring sessions.

Draco rolled his eyes. "I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to talk during these sessions."

"You've always prided yourself on getting good marks. Why is this year different?"

"Why are you so nosy? It's none of your business."

"It is my business when I'm stuck here with you during these fake sessions."

Draco looked up from his book. "No. It's not. Nothing in my personal life has anything to do with you. So, stay out of my god damn business."

"Maybe there's something I could do."

Draco gave Harry a look like he couldn't believe what he was hearing. "Have you completely lost it? We don't help each other. Never have and never will."

"But why? You're been a prick to me for years and for what? Choosing Ron over you?"

Draco clenched his fists. "It's more than that. We were made to hate each other. We're opposites in every respect and there is no reason to like each other."

"That's rubbish. We aren't made for anything. We choose our paths."

"Either way, we're on opposite sides."

Harry shrugged. "For now maybe. Things are changing and who knows. We might end up on the same side after all."

Draco gave him a look. "You're mad."

To Draco's horror, Harry grinned. "For sure. I just think that we both have more things to worry about than our petty rivalry."

"If you're trying to offer some sort of truce then pass."

Harry scowled. "Why?"

Draco glared. "You sent my father to Azkaban. That's unforgivable."

Harry threw his arms up. "He sided himself with Voldemort and your aunt killed my godfather."

"You're blaming me for my family's decisions?"

"No, all I'm saying is that our families have been on different sides for a long time. Why do we have to be the same?"

"Why do you all of a sudden care?"

That was a good question. He couldn't stop thinking about why he had decided to help Draco with these sessions and that made him wonder if any of this was necessary. All the bickering and fighting and for what? He had been doing it for so long (mostly because Draco had been a shit and started it) that it had become engrained in him. This loathing was always present. But, after losing Sirius last year, the only hate he had left in him was reserved for Voldemort and Bellatrix. Everything paled in comparison. Especially his rivalry with Draco. He was tired of it. He had more pressing things to think about.

"Because I don't want to fight with you anymore," Harry said, finally.

"So now you want to be best mates?" Draco scoffed. "That's ridiculous."

"I didn't say anything about becoming mates. I just don't want to be enemies anymore."

"You're mad."

Harry rolled his eyes. "Do what you want. I'm done fighting with you."