MELANIN QUEEN*

C H A P T E R
S E V E N T E E N

"Babies are always more trouble than you thought—and more wonderful." — Charles Osgood

S T E P H A N I E

"We can't keep doing this." I shook my head as I grabbed my underwear from the edge of the bed.

Bando shook his head without saying a word, he slid on his grey Nike Tech paints and started picking up the comforter off the floor and back on the bed where it belong.

"That's what you want?" He asked staring at me as I fixed up my hair in Rachel's vanity mirror.

"Bando, stop playing dumb. You still go with Rachel and I know better to be someone's side bitch."

Getting up I slowly walked to grabbed my things off the dresser before leaving. I was finally in the right place in my physical therapy where I was beginning to walk by myself, even though it was still taking some time. I was slowly getting the hang of things.

"Side bitch? Come on now Steph. That's what you think you are?" He chuckled.

I shook my head, "You saying it like I'm not.."

"You're not.. you mean more to me than any of these bitches, no one can never take your place baby. Why you think I'm even doing this?." He grabbed my hands and kissed them.

Bando lied to me so many times, he played me constantly. His word wasn't bond to me, I couldn't believe shit that came out this mans mouth. But for some reason I tried so hard to believe him. I couldn't help it.

"Bando, we can't—.."

"Damn right you can't.." Rachel interrupted us as she stood in the doorway of their bedroom.

Bando dropped my hands so fast and tried to embrace Rachel in a hug but she turned it down. She looked between the both of us and then around her room as if she already knew what went down.

I just stood there shaking my head, I wasn't about to pour out my sorries for sleeping with her man, my ex. And I damn sure wasn't gonna justify that me and Bando wasn't doing a damn thing besides just talking.

" Baby, I don't even know why she here. She came in here talking bout she want to be with a nigga and —.."

I chuckled, "Yo ass really gonna sit up here and lie?"

This was the last straw for me, thank you god for letting me know what this nigga was truly about. There's no way I can be with someone like this, a lying cheating ass dog.

I drew my hand back and made sure I slapped the shit out of him before apologizing to Rachel about getting in between her relationship, then walking out the door.

D A V E 💫

I was enjoying my days as an engaged man. The moment Manny said "Yes", it made me the happiest man on the planet. Not only was we engaged but we was almost a family. It's been three months since I proposed and those three months been the best.

But not all things was sweet like candy. I was broke! A nigga needed some money and the only way I can do that was by hustling.

Everything I can think of I was doing it. Whether it was selling drugs or doing hits. Get it by any means. Every little dime that came into my hands I had put it away for my family.

"Yo take this pack and drop it off in the Stuy. Rich told me as he handed me the pack of Cocaine.

Looking around I took the pack from Rich and placed it in the duffel bag. Not asking no questions I just did what I was told.