Chapter 2: No criminal record.

Sam POV

I wake up in the morning, having the sun blast my eyes. I remember all the events from last night and look over to the other couch and see Quinn still sleeping. I check my phone and see it's 7:30. I decide to make pancakes for breakfast. My heart aches at the thought that Quinn might not even know what pancakes are.

I start making them and at the same time, decide that I will take Quinn to the police station instead of calling them here. I feel I wouldn't be able to explain why I want to see them through the phone.

When I make around 30 small pancakes, I cut up some fruits: bananas, berries and peaches. I look onto the couch, where Quinn was sleeping, and see her sitting up, looking around. I slowly walk over to her, smiling slightly. She stiffens and moves back. I kneel next to the couch. "Good morning, Princess. I made you breakfast. Are you hungry?" I say softly. She looks at me, cocking her head slightly, and I can see some of the fear go away. She gives me a small smile and I mentally applaud myself. Progress.

She gets out of bed and I pick her up, sitting her in a chair and placing a plate with pancakes, Nutella and the cut-up fruit. I also give her some orange juice. I sit opposite her and smile at her, before eating.

She eats half of what I gave her and looks at me. "What's the matter, Sweetheart? Why aren't you eating?" I ask her.

"N-no more. T-tummy hurts." She says. I nod and stand up, walking towards her, slowly, with a smile. I've realized that she tends to be less scared when the movement of a person is slow and they are smiling. I pick her up and carry her to the bathroom.

After cleaning her face and hands, I brush her teeth and dress her in the clothes Meriwether so kindly provided. I then take her downstairs and sit on the couch, placing her in my lap. "I'm going to take you to the police station after I get ready, ok Princess? They're going to help you and we will figure out what to do with you." I say to her and she gives me a shy nod. I smile and sit her down next to me, going to get ready.

Quinn POV

The big man said he will take me to the police. That's the men in blue clothes. I've seen them before. The big man said the police will help me and I nodded. He put me on the couch and went upstairs. I sit there until I decide that I need toilet. I saw one in the white room where you get cleaned. I decide to risk and tell the big man that.

I go upstairs and see him in a room with a big bed. He is putting clothes on. He turns around and sees me. "You ok, kiddo? What do you need?" He asks quietly.

"I n-need umm... I n-need to g-go t-to the w-white r-room." I tell him. He narrows his eyes.

"What's the white room?" He asks and slowly walks to me. He holds out his hand and tells me to show him the white room. So I take his hand and take him. He sees and slaps his head with his hand. He then smiles at me. I like his smile. It is a nice smile. When Momma or He smiled, it was scary and I knew they would hurt me. The big man doesn't hurt me. "This is called a bathroom sweetheart. Let's call it that now, ok?" He says and I nod.

"Thank you, big man." I say quietly. He smiles at me wider.

"Is that what you call me in your head? Big man?" He asks and I nod. "Did I forget to tell you my name?" I nod again. "Call me Sam, okay Sweetheart?" I nod. Sam. I like Sam. Sam is nice.

"W-why d-do you n-not call m-me Q-quinn? My name i-is Quinn, b-but you call m-me Princess o-or sweetheart." I ask him. He doesn't shout when I talk.

The big man - no, Sam - laughs a little bit. "Princess and Sweetheart are endearments. That's like a nickname. I call you Princess because you deserve a big kingdom and a Prince Charming to love you. I call you Sweetheart because you are so little and sweet and I could literally eat you." He explains. I look up at him and smile. Wide. He does the same.