(Short) Chapter 27: Reality

(Quinn's POV)

"What do you mean sick?" I ask for the fifth time.
"We mean, that uncle Aussie is ill. Not healthy." Daddy says.

Daddy and Uncle Aussie sat me down and told me that uncle Aussie is sick. He has something called cancer. His hair is falling out and now he wears a hat.

"But why?" I ask.

"Because sometimes people get sick and they just have to deal with that." Uncle Aussie says. "That's life, Quinnie. Nothing is perfect and there are ups and downs."

"Why?" I ask again.

"Because that's how reality looks like. It can be a cruel thing." Daddy says.

"Why can't Uncle Aussie go to the doctor and get some medicine?" I ask. I remember when I had a cold, daddy gave me some raspberry medicine.

"Because cancer isn't just something that can get healed. Its a serious illness." Daddy explains.

I think about his words. What does serious illness mean?
"Can Uncle Aussie die?" I ask.

When they both look at each other with a hesitant look, I understand. Uncle Aussie CAN die. Because his hair is falling out.
Tears build up in my eyes as I climb into Uncle Aussie's lap. "You won't die, will you?" I ask and hug him.

Uncle Aussie sighs. "I don't know." he says truthfully and hugs me back. "Even if I do, you shouldn't be upset." He adds.

I look up at him. "Why?"

"Because everybody dies at one point. Its okay. I will be able to die happy, if I knew that you wouldn't be sad all the time."

How can someone die happy? Death is sad. When Cinderella's mommy died, it was sad. And when Snow White died, it was sad. I voice my question.

"Some people come to terms with that. I found out I was sick before Christmas. That was two months ago. Now, I'm okay with it. I need you to be okay with it too." Uncle Aussie says.

"Are you okay with it too, Daddy?" I ask.

Daddy sighs. "I'm... Upset. And I will be upset if it happens. But I also accept that it might. You will too, at one point. When you're a big girl, it will be easier." he says.

I look at my hands and play with them. I don't want to have to accept it. I don't want it to happen. I want Uncle Aussie to not be ill anymore.

"Why do people get sick?" I ask

"Because that's what the world looks like. There is no actual answer that we know. It just happens, because there are illnesses in the environment." Daddy says.

I look at Daddy, then at Uncle Aussie. "What happens when people die?"

"Everybody believes different things. Some believe that they go to heaven, some believe that they are born again, and some believe that nothing happens." Uncle Aussie tells me.

"What do you believe?"

"Heaven" They both say at the same time.

"Then that's what I will believe too. And when I die, I won't be scared." I decide. "Are you scared, Uncle Aussie?"

Uncle Aussie nods. "I am. But not of dying. Not anymore." He says.

"Then what are you scared of?"

"Of not having the people I love by my side. Not getting your hugs and not being able to play with you and daddy." He says.

"I will send hugs up to heaven if you die. I promise" I hold out my pinkie. Uncle Aussie smiles and entwines his pinkie with mine.

"Thank you." He kisses my forehead and hugs me.

He holds out his arm to Daddy and Daddy comes to join in the hug.