Chapter 22

"Be strong an courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, or the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you (Deuteronomy 31:6)," a preacher announced at the side of the road. 

I felt chills from the biblical quotes from that man as I passed by. My black hair draped over my shoulders, my (e/c) peered forward. I tried the best I could not to run over little children. They were either chasing insects or other children. I lost count these days. They aren't like the children that I have grown up with were they never left their mother's or father's sight. 

The sun shown high in the sky on this cloudy day. The signs of rain threatened the festivities, but the bystanders seem to have ignored it. I love a good cloudy day. Why? The answer is simple. I don't have to worry about the blasted sun blinding my poor, sensitive eyes and my skin won't get burned. Moon screen isn't the same as sun screen. 

On days like these, I don't bother having the hood up on my (f/c) cloak. Well, I don't have to wear a cloak at all. As much as I adore feeling like I am wrapped in a snugly blanket all the time, I was simply too lazy to grab it off the hook, even though I pass it on the way out the door. If you wanted too know, I escaped out the window today. Yeah, it's one of those days. 

My ears danced as the sounds of instruments sang through the city streets. The band had started to play. Bystanders moved to the sides of the streets to make way for the professional dancers. They worn revealing clothes and their dark hair was pulled into a tight bun. Decorative ornaments advanced their bodies. Their bodies moved like a fish out of water. Not just because they looked like mermaids.

The dancers moved past me. I looked at them hungrily. I wished that I had that sort of talent. If I danced, I would a literal fish out of water. A fish with fangs and blood lust. I'm not just a fish, I am a shark!

Behind the dancers is six servants also dressed in fine clothes. They held a bronze litter with the king of Danafor inside. He waved to the bystanders. I couldn't help but glare at him. I hate human royalty. They treat lower lives like livestock. Killing anyone who stands up to them, calling them a traitor just so they can be executed. And they call non-humans monster. 

I'll show him who is the real royal. I swear that I will show up all royalty and show them how to rule right. I will rule with pride and honor! I will listen to the people and make them feel happy. Not like these human royals who rule with fear.

A scoff escaped my lips and I bail into the darkness. 

On the outer banks of the city, a cage filled with people passed my. Slave traders. I glared at them. My fangs filled with venom. Things like this is at the top of the many reasons why humans are scum. I leaped to the cart and sank my teeth into the slave trader. The man next to him screamed and ran away, but I made him first. His blood tasted biter. He was an alcoholic. 

I spat out the blood and gagged.

The humans in the cart watched me with emotionless eyes. I skipped over to them with my hands behind my back. My hands found the lock on the cage door and with one yank, the lock snapped, and the cage door was open. A second problem awaited, each of the humans had a pair of ankle restraints. 

My eyes were drawn to a little boy in torn clothes. He had red eyes and messy white hair. I would assume he was an albino if it wasn't for his tan skin. My heart skipped a beat. I wanted to protect this boy. For a second, I imagined my little brother Leo next to the little boy. These two would have been good friends. 

"I will get you out of this," I promised the humans. My hands found the chains on the young boy's legs and i broke them. The chains hurt my hands bads.