chapter 12

"Next up! Vanai verses Meliodaf!" Love Helm cheered. Meliodas and I stepped onto the ring. "Standing at five feet and weighing approximately one hundred-ten pounds, Meliodaf! And standing at (your height) and weighing approximately (your weight), Vanai!"

The crowd cheered, some made fox whistles at me. By this far into the story, I shook it off thinking that these dooshbags are whistling at Meliodas. I'm really not that attractive to deserve this much attention.

"The rules are simple, knock the person out of the ring, throw them, knock them unconscious or beat them until they can no longer defend themselves! As long as there is one left standing in the ring, you're the winner!" Love Helm looked at Meliodas' sword, "No weapons allowed!"

"Oh, this ..." Meliodas pulled the broken sword from it's sheath. "It's just for show."

"In that case, I'll allow it!" Love Helm shouted.

I couldn't help but wonder why he always has that sword on him. Was it a gift from someone important? No, then he would leave it at the tavern in case it breaks during the tournament. Just what was it? Why is he so fixated on never having this broken blade leave his sight?

"Let the second match begin!" Love Helm shouted and the crowd roared. I made a fighting stance. Fear rises in my chest, but I managed to swallow it. I don't want Captain to find any hints of fear. Not now.  Not during a fight like this. 

Meliodas came to me, his hand drawn into a fist. I instinctively blocked my face. His fist hit my forearm, knocking me towards the edge of the ring. I slide against the ground and stopped before I came to the perimeter of the ring. My balance was really good, almost too good. 

"Are you trying to kill me!" I shout as I made my way towards the center of the ring.

"You didn't get knocked out, I'm impressed!" Meliodas chuckled.

Now's my chance. He always seemed to have let down his guard when he is being silly like this.

I rushed towards him, my steps are as silent as possible and my agility is quick. I brought myself close enough to land a solid punch, but before my skin made contact, he leans back, dodging my punch. My eyes widen as he punched me in the gut. I gagged as all the air escaping my chest.

I land on the ground with my chest facing the sky. I gasped for air and white spots come to my vision. Don't black out, don't black out, don't black out!

"Knocked out in one punch? I can't believe it! The winner of this round goes to-" Love Helm started.

"Wait!" I managed to speak.

"What's this, Vanai is raising to her feet! What is this? Does she have a death wish or something?" Love Helm announced. The crowd cheered me on.  

I don't know if I have a death wish or its pure dedication. Whatever it is I am not done yet. I have accepted that I am one of the Eight Deadly Sins. It's time to prove that I am one of them. I'm not going to be taken down by just a few punches. And I'm not going to give up either. 

"You might have had a better chance staying on the ground." Meliodas told me. His hands are in his pockets and that stupid smile is gone. He's serious. 

"I don't care." I swallowed my pain and looked at Meliodas. "Talk me out of it all you want, I will not back down unless I am dead." I regretted those words once they escaped my tongue.

Meliodas blinked a few times and chuckled. 

"What are you laughing at?" I yelled. 

"Nothing. I just known someone a long time ago that used those exact words." Meliodas snickered.